Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The Hemi fenders were to have rolled wheel opening lips for more clearance with the 15" wheel/tire combo (15" was mandatory w/ Hemi). Some owners that have compared their (Hemi fender) cars have found the rolled fenders were somewhat inconsistent - some were and some weren't.

The T/A and AAR cars had staggered tire setups (rear tires were wider) and also came with 15" wheels as part of the package. Tires were E60x15"-front and G60x15"-rear.
Yup, that I actually knew..thats what I meant by tires.
Does anyone know why there was inconsistancy with some having rolled fenders and others not?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
...I would love to have a T/A block. If you know of any by all means PM me. Maybe not something id buy at this very moment but you never know...
Congrats on the T/A, looks like a really nice car. Please note the regular 340 block is perfectly fine and you will never know the difference. Real T/A blocks are not going to be cheap. The main advantages of this car not being a numbers matching car is you got a much lower purchase price and don't have to worry so much about driving the car. If you're like me and you want to drive the car, then the regular 340 already in the car is the way to go. If something ever happens to the regular 340, you simply replace it. If you break a T/A 340 then it will be hard to find another block and it will cost a lot more $$$$$.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Congrats on the T/A, looks like a really nice car. Please note the regular 340 block is perfectly fine and you will never know the difference. Real T/A blocks are not going to be cheap. The main advantages of this car not being a numbers matching car is you got a much lower purchase price and don't have to worry so much about driving the car. If you're like me and you want to drive the car, then the regular 340 already in the car is the way to go. If something ever happens to the regular 340, you simply replace it. If you break a T/A 340 then it will be hard to find another block and it will cost a lot more $$$$$.
Thanks! Exactly how much does a T/A 340 go for?

I just want to make this car as much "original" as I can, and for no other reason other than my own OCD reasons LOL. But unless I was able to find the original engine that came out of it, I would probably never be satisfied!

Im very very particular about 2010 Challenger now...I wonder if Im going to be worse with this one? I dont drive it in the rain, theres no eating, or drinking in it..ever. Not even gum. I will change my entire plans if its raining, near the beach ( salt water? (((shivers!))) or if the parking is questionable! LOL

Im getting it tomorrow...early! Im sooo excited!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Picked it up last night and couldnt be any happier! Didnt get a chance to get any photos of it in the Garage with my 10', but ill take some of those tonight after we give her "the first bath" LOL..Here are a few photos:

One happy kid. He loves Mopars more than us!

LOL!

Driving it home!

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Right on!! Great addition to the garage for sure. As far as why the inconsistency, I dont know know for sure, but probaly just lazy line workers. Maybe it was Friday and they were already drinking beer, maybe it was monday and they were still in a fog from drinking beer the previous Friday haha..

·
Super Moderator
14,555 Posts
Great to hear you got it home!

On Wednesday (weekly cruise-in at the track), I saw a sweet '70 AAR Cuda
*Rallye Red (or bright red)
*rallye IP cluster
*4-speed w/ console
*black interior
*15" steel wheels (std. equip on AAR)

Fully restored, right down to the side exhaust trumpets - it was a beauty. I also looked at the fender tag - matched up with what was there.

(now, if I can only remembered to take pictures - D'oh!)

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
Good looking ride Michelle thanks for sharing looking forward with the pictures of the new and old!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Still havent took any pictures of it yet with my Challenger...(its covered and in the garage sooo...waiting until next weekend when we take them both out to a our car club get together.

However, tonight..we went out with a few friends from our club and one of the members brought his new 2011 GWE Challenger that just happened to have a Mopar T/A hood put on WITH Hoodpins last week. Just had to take some pictures together. The cars looked awesome!

·
Registered
40 Posts
What do you mean by comparing "Hemi, AAR and T/A"? Do you mean Challengers, Cudas & T/A's OR Hemi fenders, AAR fenders and T/A fenders?

I do know there is something considered "Hemi Fenders" to accomodate for the bigger heads on a hemi ( fenders were wider) Apparently there is allot of conflict as to whether ALL T/A's & AAR's came with rolled fender lips. Some have them , some dont. It was my understanding they were wider to accomodate the tires.

No engine bay size has nothing to do with wheter or not you had a 225 or a Hemi. Engineers quickly discovered that the fat weight of the Hemi engine and aggresive cornering with 15" trime didn't go over too well, in fact the tires on the front would rub at extremes and chew up the tire.
Rather than redo the fender a simple fix was to simply 'roll' the upper fender lip at the top of the fender. People call it Hemi fenders as all Hemi E bodies had rolled fender lips. But 15"x7"'s were the wheel of choice for the Trans Am cars and those wheels coupled with over the top driving made for rubbing, so Trans Am cars got the nod to use the rolled fenders. Most guys can overlook this when restoring a Trans Am car back in the eighties and nineties as it wasn't common knowledge, fenders look the same on the outside. Today though it's something to look for to help confirm you have a Trans Am car. If you don't it's really not the end of the world as fenders can rust out and be replaced, it doesn't mean that you don't have a Trans Am car.
My buddy was telling me about his friend who had a red Challenger T/A with red interior that he was restoring and the guy's mom threw out with the trash the mint red dash pad with the dash VIN tag attached, that's a world ender....

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
!

Enjoyed all the pix, and this was my favorite. I see people asking $8K for a 340 TA engine with heads (no SixPack) to $12K for a rebuilt 340 TA engine. What they are actually getting is another matter, but never going to be cheap. To me, buying a 340 TA engine and swapping it in the car is never going to be worth the money & effort unless you can find the original, numbers matching motor.

·
Registered
421 Posts
No engine bay size has nothing to do with wheter or not you had a 225 or a Hemi. Engineers quickly discovered that the fat weight of the Hemi engine and aggresive cornering with 15" trime didn't go over too well, in fact the tires on the front would rub at extremes and chew up the tire.
Rather than redo the fender a simple fix was to simply 'roll' the upper fender lip at the top of the fender. People call it Hemi fenders as all Hemi E bodies had rolled fender lips. But 15"x7"'s were the wheel of choice for the Trans Am cars and those wheels coupled with over the top driving made for rubbing, so Trans Am cars got the nod to use the rolled fenders. Most guys can overlook this when restoring a Trans Am car back in the eighties and nineties as it wasn't common knowledge, fenders look the same on the outside. Today though it's something to look for to help confirm you have a Trans Am car. If you don't it's really not the end of the world as fenders can rust out and be replaced, it doesn't mean that you don't have a Trans Am car.
My buddy was telling me about his friend who had a red Challenger T/A with red interior that he was restoring and the guy's mom threw out with the trash the mint red dash pad with the dash VIN tag attached, that's a world ender....
Not all T/As/AARs had the rolled fenders from the factory.Never say never or always when dealing with these cars. Please contact Barry Washington owner of the T/A AAR registry about these cars there's some miss-information in this thread.

Thats a nice looking T/A. Barry may have some info on the car from previous owners

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
!

Enjoyed all the pix, and this was my favorite. I see people asking $8K for a 340 TA engine with heads (no SixPack) to $12K for a rebuilt 340 TA engine. What they are actually getting is another matter, but never going to be cheap. To me, buying a 340 TA engine and swapping it in the car is never going to be worth the money & effort unless you can find the original, numbers matching motor.
I agree 100%. I think I posted this a few post back. Unless I had the original engine from the car, it would not be worth the expense to replace it with a real 340 T/A engine.

Not all T/As/AARs had the rolled fenders from the factory.Never say never or always when dealing with these cars. Please contact Barry Washington owner of the T/A AAR registry about these cars there's some miss-information in this thread.

Thats a nice looking T/A. Barry may have some info on the car from previous owners
Thanks your advice! :) I intend on contacting Barry next week when I have time to sit down and gather all my information and write an email. I have sifted through alot of the information in this thread and was able to pull out and verify what I knew to be true..but indeed there is few posts that indeed were not correct information. Im sure Barry can clear this all up. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Great pictures Michelle, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lots of helpful info on this thread, but does anyone have any input as to a price or what a 1970 white T/A is worth 64k original survivor car? white interior auto ? Car is a driver quality not in any immediate need of resto to look its best. I may have the opportunity to buy it. asking price is 42k. Any info is appreciated. it is my dream car.

·
Super Moderator
14,555 Posts
Curious thought id plates etc on fender were pop riveted not screwed onto the inner wheel well ?

Fender tags are held in with screws - only the dash VIN plate is riveted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Barry Washington created the T/A registry website that has been around for a considerable amount of time. He has some interesting info about T/A's and if you call him and the car was registered previously, he can provide the owners name which can help when trying to research its history. The Challenger T/A Registry Home Page

If you go to the vintage T/A's and look at the last 3 pictures that would be my gem when I was 17 years old.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts