Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
#6 of 80 Mopar '17 Challenger
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating buying a closed box intake from a 2016 SRT to replace my open top intake for my 2017. This is more of asthmatics for me honestly. I'm not a fan of the filter looking at me. I have the Shaker hood if that helps with the advice. I checked fitment with Mopar parts, it is supposed to fit. I'd just have to cut the hole out for the front grill intake tube. Here's the question.

Will it make much difference (temps) going the closed box route?

Pics below:

Part i may buy from a 2016

My 2017

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,295 Posts
I'm contemplating buying a closed box intake from a 2016 SRT to replace my open top intake for my 2017. This is more of asthmatics for me honestly. I'm not a fan of the filter looking at me. I have the Shaker hood if that helps with the advice. I checked fitment with Mopar parts, it is supposed to fit. I'd just have to cut the hole out for the front grill intake tube. Here's the question.

Will it make much difference (temps) going the closed box route?

Pics below:

Part i may buy from a 2016
View attachment 1011285

My 2017
View attachment 1011286
Your shaker hood seals to the top of that air-box making it closed and intakes air from the shaker scoop. You technically can't switch airboxes

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your shaker hood seals to the top of that air-box making it closed and intakes air from the shaker scoop. You technically can't switch airboxes
Yep. On the performance of the air box I hear you. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,295 Posts
Yep. On the performance of the air box I hear you. Thanks.
I misread you're post. You may be able to fabricate something. May not be the easiest thing to do. It may be easier to make a cover for your existing box. Or go this route.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The gasket on top of the Shaker filter box does not contact the hood, at least not on my car. I too would like to cover it. I made a cardboard cover as a test and it reduced the intake air temperature noticeably, especially at idle when stopped.

I have a JLT coolant jar cover. I wish these guys made a cap for the air cleaner housing out of the same stuff. It would be perfect. I emailed them to inquire about perhaps making something like that but I never got a reply.

The box you are looking at will not work. There is no clean way to get the shaker connected to it.
Red Electronic device Orange Technology Motorcycle

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gasket on top of the Shaker filter box does not contact the hood, at least not on my car. I too would like to cover it. I made a cardboard cover as a test and it reduced the intake air temperature noticeably, especially at idle when stopped.

I have a JLT coolant jar cover. I wish these guys made a cap for the air cleaner housing out of the same stuff. It would be perfect. I emailed them to inquire about perhaps making something like that but I never got a reply.

The box you are looking at will not work. There is no clean way to get the shaker connected to it.
View attachment 1011589
Thanks. I wish there was something aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Thanks. I wish there was something aftermarket.
There would be if enough interest could be generated to get a vendor to do it. There is one out there that has a window in the top and does not actually seal off the housing. I'm not fond of that one.
Product Rectangle Display device Musical instrument accessory Output device

There is also a large plate-type cover form Scalia but it too is not actually sealing anything and it covers a lot of acreage. Kinda overpowers the visual for my liking.
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive design Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,499 Posts
With the 15 and up you could get one that has the air catcher and just abandon the shaker in place.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Where's the fun in that? :)

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
With the 15 and up you could get one that has the air catcher and just abandon the shaker in place.
Fo you have the info for that handy?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts