Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nothing to compare it to other than what some other users have posted but I have a 6 speed 2010 SRT8 w/ 4500 miles on it...I noticed from the day I brought it home w/ 12 miles on it that at very low speed( 5MPH) there was a noticeable clunking noise under the car almost like the it was going to stall??...when I would put in the clutch it seemed very jerky??lots of noise coming from the undercarriage ..I'm always afraid to bring my car to the dealer with a "Mystery" problem...I don't want to show up to pick up my Challenger only to see it in a million pieces while the mechanic scratches his head in wonderment...SO what i'm asking is it normal? OR am I just being hypersensitive?...I also hear a slight whine coming from the back but it's drowned out most of the time by my exhaust...I'd really appreciate any guidance???... when it comes to mechanical ability I'm like a cow looking at a pair of pliers:)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I too have noticed this low speed "clunk" at times. Reminds me of when your universal joints go bad and you can tell by the clunk and slop of the driveline.

So this "normal"?

JFF:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
hate to do this to you my friend, but ; you got to rip it a new one, if you search my threads you'll see that I too had the same "problem" and so did majority of us with the 6 speed, you also will hear that when you shift to and from 2, sometimes when you go 1-R-1 (as you park) it will be even louder...
to make you feel better you wont hear that sound from outside as much if at all....
i took it to my dealer 2-4 times and they did take t apart and founding nothing out of place... then the mechanic friend of mine took the car and ripped it a new one on the back roads and the car was just fine...
as he said "got to handle this car like a man, its a manmobile"
as much as i hated that statement at that time (poor thing had just 5k miles) it seems to be the best advice that I ever go for my chally...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hate to do this to you my friend, but ; you got to rip it a new one, if you search my threads you'll see that I too had the same "problem" and so did majority of us with the 6 speed, you also will hear that when you shift to and from 2, sometimes when you go 1-R-1 (as you park) it will be even louder...
to make you feel better you wont hear that sound from outside as much if at all....
i took it to my dealer 2-4 times and they did take t apart and founding nothing out of place... then the mechanic friend of mine took the car and ripped it a new one on the back roads and the car was just fine...
as he said "got to handle this car like a man, its a manmobile"
as much as i hated that statement at that time (poor thing had just 5k miles) it seems to be the best advice that I ever go for my chally...
Ok thanks guys!...I guess there is comfort in numbers...really the only time it bothers me is when I pull up into my driveway...it's one of those things that I think gets amplified by my mood...sometimes I don't seem to notice it...yesterday was just one of those days...I still love my "manmobile":thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Just wanted to mention, this "clunking" noise also happens in the autos under the same conditions of 5mph or less. I replicated the sound when I had the car on the lift and rotated the driveshaft back and forth. The "clunk" came from the differential.

So driveline slack perhaps?

·
Registered
602 Posts
The 6 speeds are noisy and you can definitely feel them. In the clutch pedal, in the shifter and in the rear end.

You have to drive them like the high performance machines they were designed to be.

I have about 1400 miles on mine now and I don't know if it's because I've adjusted the way I drive it or if it's just broken in but I swear the clunking noise is considerably less noticeable.

My wife won't ride with me in the Challenger because it makes her nauseous. I won't let her drive it because even after 5 years of driving a manual trans explorer, you'd think it's her first time driving a stick!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Had the clunk at first too. I'd had a couple of autos since my last manual.
After a week or two getting used to it no more clunk. Every once in while
going 2-3 mph in first gear I'll get lazy and sure enough, clunk.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Glad I read this - I've experienced the same with my 12 6-spd R/T Classic. Just had it at the dealer for the airbag light and free oil change and mentioned the sound... received the typical: "could not replicate" so evidently this is an acceptably normal sound. I have noticed it lessened with greater miles and when I get into it... but what to do when encountering speed bumps or crowds who want a good look at the car as it cruises passed at a low speed? :)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Fyi, I have a rear end clunk too on my '07 Charger. It's on gear changes, either the first one (when I put the car in reverse to back out of my garage) or during some harsh downshifting (3 to 2, or 2 to 1). It's a metallic sound (more a clink than a clunk!) that seems to come from the differential, like there's some slack being picked up back there. :shrug03:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
On the six speed smoothness is your friend. On road trips though when Mrs. deranged has on those low cut tops I'm a clutch dumping man in my manmobile! :D

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
This rear differential ring and pinion lash, especially on the manual transmissions is normal. It takes time to negotiate proper take off and parking lot 5 mph cruising. I still struggle with it at times. To make matters worse, the dual disc clutch doesn't help either. After two years and lots of practice I can say that pretty much have nailed down. It just takes practice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.