Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been seeing this topic come up more and more lately, and I'm not a mechanic, but I wanted to address a couple observations I've made as someone who has owned and driven many a manual vehicle in my short life.

First - every manual I've ever owned/driven has made this "clunk" sound during a shift. Is it normal? I honestly couldn't tell you. But it is ABSOLUTELY not unique to the Challenger. I bought a lightly used Dakota in 2004 with a manual, drove it off the lot, and it made the "clunk" sound from the day I bought it to the day I got rid of it with over 150k miles. Never had a single transmission issue though.

My dad had a 2000 Camry that was a manual (and oddly enough, a fun car to drive. . . yeah, I know. Weird.) THAT car made that sound. You couldn't hear it ever on the inside of the car (I'm assuming because the Camry was insulated far better than a lot of cars) but you could hear it on the outside.

Buddy had a manual F-150 that would make that sound.

I had a manual Caliber that would make that sound.

If you type in a quick Google search on clunking manuals, you will find that this question is asked on every forum for every car make and model with a manual.

As some of you know, I'm quick to call out the Challenger's poor build quality and general lack of mechanical soundness, but in this case, I'm coming to its defense. The Challenger isn't a well insulated vehicle, so it makes sense that you can hear the "clunk" sound when you shift.

The best way to get rid of the clunk? Work on your shifting. You can minimize it to the point where you won't hear it. If you shift hard and fast, you'll hear it. If you shift smooth and let off the clutch easy, I'm betting you won't hear it.

Again, I'm not a mechanic so who knows, this could be indicative of a problem, but I find it hard to believe that it is, since every manual I've driven has made this sound in some form or fashion. Some loud, some quiet. . . but they all do it.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I feel lucky that my car doesn't have much - or any - of this clunk people complain about. Perhaps there's some operator error with the clutch/throttle blending going on, or some of these clunky cars got bad rear-suspension and driveline bushings from the factory???

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel lucky that my car doesn't have much - or any - of this clunk people complain about. Perhaps there's some operator error with the clutch/throttle blending going on, or some of these clunky cars got bad rear-suspension and driveline bushings from the factory???
I'm sure a lot of it is just rough shifting or releasing the clutch too quickly or something. That's when I used to hear it the most.

I've looked at a few forums for different vehicles and it's pretty funny - every response as to what to have the dealer look at is different. With this "problem" being so seemingly prevalent, it's weird to me that you can't look it up and find a concrete answer.

There are people on this forum who are insanely knowledgable though. . . perhaps someone can authoritatively speak on the reason why this occurs. I don't consider it a problem though. Manuals have a lot of moving parts. . . imperfect humans are moving those parts. They're going to make noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts