Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 SE just installed eibach sportline springs with the pro-damper shocks and struts...they have about 1000 miles on them, the last 300 miles a clunking has developed when driving slower over certian bumps and does not do it when turning at all...

Is it the shock/strut or the end link? or something else?

thanks for any help...

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Only you can figuire out what it is, first off go over every bolt and make sure it still is torqued properly. You should be able to solve the problem by doing that. If it still clunks check other factory bolts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would think that if it was a nut that was loose it would be apparent almost initially...and it was dead quite and then after about 600 miles, it would happen just over big bumps and not its over most bumps...

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
There's a big thread somewhere about removing the washer on the end links (I think) I would look 1st at re-torquing the end links for sure, to see if that helps (it did on mine).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yup happened to me after I installed a set of lowering springs. Swaybar attachments should be the culprit.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts
I have this same exact condition on my R/T.
Dealer installed SRT upgrade kit and after a few months I have the clunking over bumps when at speeds over 40mph.
I will bring this thread with me to hopefully fix the issue.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone...I will check it...but after many threads reading about it, I ordered some Bwoody end links...so I will make sure to super tight when I install them...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed this kit on my R/T and the dust covers on the shocks were making the clunking noise. Especially on the front struts where they hit the coil.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
After reading some related threads I found my problem is with the BT strut tower caps.:disgust:
Added extra washers and all is good.:smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
The Billet Tech strut tower caps I have, commonly referred to as "Devo Caps", come with a metal washer and a rubber washer.

What seems to be the problem is that if you have the Mopar strut tower brace installed you get the knocking when hitting major bumps in the pavement at some speed. It seems to be just the bumps that sharply push the shock up and not the holes.
By adding an additional black rubber gasket between the cap and the top of the strut tower,around the post where it screws on, it seems to stop the condition.
I don't know why this happens but the additional washer fixes it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed this kit on my R/T and the dust covers on the shocks were making the clunking noise. Especially on the front struts where they hit the coil.
OK, I need to change my story on this one. After crawling all around the car, it was discovered that the bolt on the right front sway bar end link wasn't tightened all the way. It was hard to notice at first, but once jacked up, you could turn it with your finger. Tightened her up and all's good.
Also, after my installer spoke with a rep from Eibach, they said that this kit has issues with the end links working loose and recommends you re-tighten them every 300-500 miles. This could explain why your noise came about down the road.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
OK, I need to change my story on this one. After crawling all around the car, it was discovered that the bolt on the right front sway bar end link wasn't tightened all the way. It was hard to notice at first, but once jacked up, you could turn it with your finger. Tightened her up and all's good.
Also, after my installer spoke with a rep from Eibach, they said that this kit has issues with the end links working loose and recommends you re-tighten them every 300-500 miles. This could explain why your noise came about down the road.

Tighten them every 300-500 miles? That's just stupid. Sounds like Eibach needs to take a second look at the design/hardware they are using.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts