Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*UPDATE* Clunking noise when turning left of right - video inside

Anyone experience this problem? I have a clunking sound when turning hard left or right. More noticeable at lower speeds. Brought it to the dealer and of course they said they couldn't replicate the problem. Thanks for any help.

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T - Automatic - All factory.

2012 Dodge Challenger Clunking Problem - YouTube

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
take it to a shop near you that you can trust let them diagnose it if the shop says its something serious then bring it back to the dealer "make them fix it they have no choice"

I heard the video could be anything!!
I'm pretty sure that sound is specific to a suspension issue. Also, I'm not going to pay for a shop to diagnose that problem. Thanks for the advice though. With all the people on this forum, I'm sure someone is familiar with that sound.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T - Automatic - All factory.
You have Anti-Spin axle? The clutches in there can make some strange noises after the gear oil starts to break down.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
It looks like you had the steering wheel turned fully to the left. Does the noise occur with the steering wheel fully turned to the right? Does the noise occur regardless of the turning radius in either direction or at a differing speed? Anything happening while in reverse? Tires OK? Alignment checked out ok (within specs)?

Reactions: csikx

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have Anti-Spin axle? The clutches in there can make some strange noises after the gear oil starts to break down.
I'm not sure, lol. I have the "sport" mode button. But no nivomats, I don't think.

It looks like you had the steering wheel turned fully to the left. Does the noise occur with the steering wheel fully turned to the right? Does the noise occur regardless of the turning radius in either direction or at a differing speed? Anything happening while in reverse? Tires OK? Alignment checked out ok (within specs)?
It was to the left, not locked out though. Same thing happens when I turn to the right, but it is more prominent when I turn to the left. I have really only noticed it at lower speeds, when almost fully turned left or right, not during normal turns. I believe the sound does occur in reverse, as well. Car has 7,000 miles on it. Tires are great and alignment is good.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Based on the video it sounds like it may be your power steering pump. Doesn't the 2012 non SRT have the new electric type and have there not been issues with them?

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
The one on the right.
Ok, then you have the Anti-Spin axle. These cars require an additive in the axle oil and it breaks down over time. But since your car only has 7,000 miles on it, might not be the problem. I think I would still go ahead and change it anyway to be sure if it were me. Some guys report their axle oil looking brown and worn out after a change. Put in a good oil like Mobil 1 75W-90 and a bottle of the additive from your dealer, then go out in the parking lot and make some figure 8's and if it was the rear end oil, the noise will stop. Some say you don't need the additive, I would put it in anyway, makes life easier on the clutches in the rear and they will last longer although you may get a little less posi effectiveness due to the extra slip.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's for the help guys. I'll report back with what I find.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I'm not sure, lol. I have the "sport" mode button. But no nivomats, I don't think.

It was to the left, not locked out though. Same thing happens when I turn to the right, but it is more prominent when I turn to the left. I have really only noticed it at lower speeds, when almost fully turned left or right, not during normal turns. I believe the sound does occur in reverse, as well. Car has 7,000 miles on it. Tires are great and alignment is good.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm wondering if the front tire(s) is simply slipping on the surface as the tight turn is made. When looking at my front tires at full lock, either way, they seem to have a lot of camber dialed in. This action may cause the tires to slip a bit (?). When the noise occurs can you feel a jarring or pulling of sorts in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally was able to get this fixed under warranty. I had to take it to another dealership since Rick Hendrick was no help.

According to the dealership, "BRAKE PAD ANTIRATTLE CLIP INSTALLED WRONG."

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I finally was able to get this fixed under warranty. I had to take it to another dealership since Rick Hendrick was no help.

According to the dealership, "BRAKE PAD ANTIRATTLE CLIP INSTALLED WRONG."

Thanks for the help everyone!

you had your breaks installed recently and found this out? or did come from factory like this?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They came from the factory like this. The dealer I was taking it to wasn't able to "reproduce the problem," so I finally found time to take it to a dealership in another city that found the problem and had it corrected within an hour.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts