Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not know such a thing (CDV) existed, I have had my SRT 392 for a year and did not realize that CDV was to blame for the 1-2 shift issues and the notchyness of the gearshifts. I am convinced that removing this junk is going to fix issues I am having with shifting.. But the question is how does this impact warranty ? I assume they are not going to know unless they pull it apart and look at it or I tell them.. But are there warranty implications ? Does it put more stress on the transmission (assuming I am good driver) ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I did not know such a thing (CDV) existed, I have had my SRT 392 for a year and did not realize that CDV was to blame for the 1-2 shift issues and the notchyness of the gearshifts. I am convinced that removing this junk is going to fix issues I am having with shifting.. But the question is how does this impact warranty ? I assume they are not going to know unless they pull it apart and look at it or I tell them.. But are there warranty implications ? Does it put more stress on the transmission (assuming I am good driver) ?
Technically it may in fact void your warranty. However, we must be talking strictly about the clutch, transmission and related components. They could not (for example) void the warranty relating to suspension over this mod, it must be related to the failed part/system. Honestly though, I have never heard of anyone running into a problem stemming from a modification of the CDV. I wouldn't sweat this too much. It does seem to significantly enhance the shifting/performance experience. The risk/reward definitely makes this a safe choice in my opinion. As a last resort. Keep the removed parts so if you decide later that you want to re-install them you can. I don't think you can purchase these parts individually. I think you have to buy the whole hyd. hose as an assembly.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yank that puppy out...you'll be glad you did. Then:

Play dumb.....what's a clutch delay valve? :)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
What exactly is the what is clutch delay valve? Does it have to do with the skip shift solenoid?
It is a small orifice that allows the clutch to slip slightly prior to engaging to lessen the wear and shock to the driveline supposedly. It has nothing to do with skip shift. But is a popular mod along with that to make the car drive like it should.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have had my SRT 392 for a year and did not realize that CDV was to blame for the 1-2 shift issues and the notchyness of the gearshifts.
It's not. It's really an issue with the synchros. The CDV acts as a check valve delaying the release of the clutch to act as sort of a damper. You still have full flow when disengaging the clutch. Honestly, I removed mine and the only difference I noticed was a quicker engagement resulting in the tires occasionally chirping when taking off. I don't race but I can see an advantage if you do. As for warranty if there were an issue and the dealer called you out on it just use the Schultz defense.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It's not. It's really an issue with the synchros. The CDV acts as a check valve delaying the release of the clutch to act as sort of a damper. You still have full flow when disengaging the clutch. Honestly, I removed mine and the only difference I noticed was a quicker engagement resulting in the tires occasionally chirping when taking off. I don't race but I can see an advantage if you do. As for warranty if there were an issue and the dealer called you out on it just use the Schultz defense.

I am so old I know exactly what that means... :lol:

To the op its doubtful any average tech guy would even ever look for it let alone know or determine you took it out on your own.....and pretty sure there is no real harm...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I did not know what it was either, i bought my 15 scat used about 2 months ago, and i came to know what it was because of another thread i opened up, asking about how did i know if i had the 1-4 skip shift eliminator :), the guys were kind enough to talk about the part i needed, and also about the Barton shifter, and that clutch delay valve.
Needles to say, it was kind of easy to remove, mostly because it was tough for me to look inside the little hole, and know exactly what i was fishing inside, this mod didn't fix my 2nd gear notchines btw, i also disabled the skip shift feature with Hptuners, and that also didn't fix the notchiness, i also took my old brake fluid out with a turkey baxter, and poured fresh DOT 3 fluid, same thing, i don't think i'll bother anymore, just like my old T56 i've had before in other vehicles, this transmissions are just notchy by nature, the TR6060 is just a tiny bit less.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Search challenger cdv delete on youtube. B mason has a really good video explaining it. There is also some how to video's that might help. I'm not sure about the cdv alone because I did the barton shifter then a weighted shift knob and skip shift eliminator first. The barton shifter with they're weighted shift knob helped a lot. Also heard royal purple synchro max or max atf trans fluid helps with the notchines going to try that next.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its an easy job.
Make sure you get a 1/4 inch plastic cap to put on the down line so you don't lose fluid whilst your digging out the O ring and restricter part. Also I found that a three inch number 8 construction screw worked perfect. A drywall type screw will work too. Just lightly twist the screw and it will grab the parts.
Also when you go to re connect the lines be sure to let the cavity fill up in the lower line part before you push it back in.
This will eliminate alot of un necessary pedal pumping to bleed the system. I had almost zero air in mine. Only a few pumps and it was good.
The clutch hits like it should and you will be pleased I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I removed mine and also changed out the fluid to Mobil 1 ATF at the same time, between those two things there was a large improvement in shifting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts