Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm installing a new spec clutch as my old OEM is finally going out. We ordered new actuator(slave cylinder) and pilot bearing. On the actuator there appears to be a CDV and my installer mentioned removing it would be a good idea for many reasons and a quick Google search will show you why but it essentially hinder quick shifts and reduces clutch life. Has anyone gone down the road of removing one or coming up with a workaround?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have one. I removed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct. Slows the disengagement of the clutch. So even under normal use it makes the separation slower essentially slipping the clutch instead of a clean and quick disengage. I'm driving it now and man it's different. Feels good and solid.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes. It sticks out of the drivers side of the bellhousing up top. Should unscrew and just use a punch to pop it and the rubber bushing out. Easy tap and it popped right out. Screw back on and be prepared to bleed the clutch again. 200+ pedal pumps. I had everything apart for the clutch install so it may not be accessible without dropping the trans.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've heard BMW guys complain about the CDV, then rant and rave that it shifts cleaner and faster after modification or delete.
Didn't realize that Challengers even had this. Maybe a partial cure/help for the Tremec's notchy shifting?

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Maybe a partial cure/help for the Tremec's notchy shifting?
Worth a shot, partial or slow clutch release will definitely affect shifting and probably increase synchronizer wear too.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The two days I've been driving so far the shifting issues I had with getting stuck in gear and 1-2 grind is gone. I cant help but thing that is because when I shift now it is a quick clean break instead of a slow release.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This sounds great! I can't wait to do this, it looks like the little rubber restriction just pops out of the valve (from your photo)?
I believe this is the clutch delay valve...looking at it from the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's it. Just take a small punch tool or something similar and push it out.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might have a hard time accessing the small nut on the back to take it off though.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Jaelliott, thanks for the pics. This mod (along with either a Barton or Hurst shifter) may be a step in curing the common transmission shifting complaints.

In your case, you replaced the clutch assembly as well and went to an aftermarket clutch right? Kinda hard to do an "apples to apples" comparison vs just removing the CDV.

I hope people with shifting concerns/issues find this thread.

·
Registered
300 Posts
So what is the purpose of the valve?
Reduces shock to the driveline, slows clutch engagement. On a cold morning with thick fluid a fast 1-2 shift will grind because of this valve.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You might have a hard time accessing the small nut on the back to take it off though.
Thanks for all the information! It looks like a pain just getting at it without dropping the trans.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Reduces shock to the driveline, slows clutch engagement. On a cold morning with thick fluid a fast 1-2 shift will grind because of this valve.
I've heard the same, "reduces shock to driveline by slowing clutch engagement". At first I thought the CDV effected clutch DIS-ENGAGEMENT. Apparently, it does not. You would think that it would give the same effect as slipping/riding the clutch. Not so much a shifting problem, but a slipping/power issue after the shift?? Maybe modding the valve just makes the clutch engagement feel normal?? Now that I understand how it is supposed to work, I'm not so sure if its the cure for notchy shifting. It may be a way to a better feeling clutch, thou.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jaelliott, thanks for the pics. This mod along with either a Barton or Hurst shifter and possibly different trans fluid, may be a step in curing the common transmission shifting complaints.

In your case, you replaced the clutch assembly as well and went to an aftermarket clutch right? Kinda hard to do an "apples to apples" comparison vs just removing the CDV.

I hope people with shifting concerns/issues find this thread.
You are absolutely correct. I feel as though the difference I can tell the difference between the CDV change and the new clutch. For example the new clutch "grabs" much better for a more solid feel and maybe the motor feels a little more easier revved due to lighter weight. But the CDV change I think is the felt release of the clutch. So the nibbles are less and I have yet to get stuck in first from low speed parking lot driving. Hard for me to explain I guess but I believe that I can discern the differences while driving.

Though at the end I would love to hear from someone with an OEM clutch to confirm or deny my thoughts.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 415 Posts
About this Discussion
414 Replies
102 Participants
Race888
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing