Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from launch assist (which allows you to set launch RPM's from 2500 to 4500! OMG!). Side step the clutch at 4500 RPM, really? That only gives you 1500 RPM to redline! A8, OK it will do it. M6?, my reflexes aren't that quick!
Without LA, If you are going to do a "clutch side step" from a dead start in 1st, what is the common sense upper limit RPM to avoid undue abuse of the clutch/drive-train (the tires be damned)?

·
Banned
2017 TA Green Go.
272 Posts
Well the original reason to bring revs up and side step the clutch was to launch the car to get good quarter mile times. The faster you can 60 foot the quicker the elapsed time. If you dont have the tire and suspension to utilize a 4500 launch then you are just wasting tires.
Practice with different rpms and see what the car likes with stock setup.
The stock rev limiter will keep the engine from over reving. Now if you money shift, the engine can be mechanically over reved and heinous carnage will result.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the original reason to bring revs up and side step the clutch was to launch the car to get good quarter mile times. The faster you can 60 foot the quicker the elapsed time. If you dont have the tire and suspension to utilize a 4500 launch then you are just wasting tires.
Practice with different rpms and see what the car likes with stock setup.
The stock rev limiter will keep the engine from over reving. Now if you money shift, the engine can be mechanically over reved and heinous carnage will result.
"money shift", I don't know what that means but it sounds like I should avoid it at all costs!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
I always got my quickest acceleration on street tires by riding the clutch out, that is, I engaged the clutch rapidly without actually dumping it. In my experience, dumping the clutch on street tires at more than about 2,000 RPMs only resulted in tire smoke and a disappointing run. I admit I haven't tried it with a modern Challenger, my last race in a manual was a 440 Magnum powered Charger many years ago. I should also say that this was hard on the clutch, though it probably saved some of the driveline parts. Side stepping the clutch is hard on parts, I did strip the splines out of the side gears in a differential side stepping the clutch with a different engine in the car. 7,500 RPMs and sudden clutch engagement can break stuff.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
342 Posts
With my 245s, anything beyond 1800 RPM is a smoke show. I don't use launch control though, I try to launch manually.

My best 0-60 is 4.9s in my RT by using that method. I'm excited to do more practice once I get wider tires (planning to do 305s in the back).

·
Registered
141 Posts
when my 2015 rt was new 2500 was the lowest setting which was too high for most surfaces. After one of the over the air updates the lower rpm limit was lowered to 1500 like the automatics, It was the one that disabled my sport mode for about a month. I played with it a few times and 1900 worked pretty well but sometimes wheelhopped , The novelty wore off and i went back to what i have done for 50 years which is hammer the gas a split second before quickly letting the clutch out. I would rather have a line lock than launch control.

·
Banned
2017 TA Green Go.
272 Posts
Money shift. Shifting from 3rd to second, or from 2nd to first at full throttle. If this happens the motor mechanically over revs and destruction occurs. Thus lots of money coming out of your pocket to fix.
If you youtube money shift you will see mostly hondas n such doing endos as they miss the shift.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,497 Posts
Money shift. Shifting from 3rd to second, or from 2nd to first at full throttle. If this happens the motor mechanically over revs and destruction occurs. Thus lots of money coming out of your pocket to fix.
If you youtube money shift you will see mostly hondas n such doing endos as they miss the shift.
So if you want to shift from 6th to 3rd to say pass someone, you can't??? I love my A8 as it can go from 8th to 2nd if it has to.

·
Banned
2017 TA Green Go.
272 Posts
Completely different scenario.
If you take off in first at full throttle get to 5500 rpm shift to second full throttle to 5500 rpm now you shift to third but instead miss and go back to first. You cannot do this with an automatic trans, it wont let you do it. A manual trans can be put into second gear at 100 mph. If you let out the clutch, ZING, 9, 10 thousand rpm and blammo.
The computer controls an automatic at the limit no matter what you do. Aside from throwing it in reverse you cannot downshift to lower gear that would cause carnage.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
342 Posts
So if you want to shift from 6th to 3rd to say pass someone, you can't??? I love my A8 as it can go from 8th to 2nd if it has to.
I'm not sure that even the A8 would allow 8-2. In your example, 6th in a manual is basically overdrive, so it operates at very low RPM. Technically if you're going at a reasonable speed, you should be able to shift 6-3. But if you're gunning it and try to shift into 2nd, you're in for a bad time because engine just wouldn't be able to cope.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
I'm not sure that even the A8 would allow 8-2. In your example, 6th in a manual is basically overdrive, so it operates at very low RPM. Technically if you're going at a reasonable speed, you should be able to shift 6-3. But if you're gunning it and try to shift into 2nd, you're in for a bad time because engine just wouldn't be able to cope.
Transmission is capable of it, does not mean the computer will allow it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
but with that said no m6 owner should of got an m6 to get perfect and fast launches, if you wanna go fast get the automatic period its a really good and fast tranny. we got the m6 for that tire spinning im the one actually in control feel that you just cant get in an auto but in exchange you have to sacrifice fast and consistent pulls for that feel and fun.
This is absolute nonsense.... I in no way mean any disrespect you, nor do I wish to hash up a debate that has been made for decades. It is obviously true the A8 is a more CONSISTENT Trans for drag racing (No human can out shift a computer). That being said, the fastest Hellcat in the world (Epling Garge) is a manually driven Hellcat 7.39 @ 172 (Set in Rockingham this last weekend).

I'm so tired of hearing folks out there who don't have the skills or the desire to learn how to drive a manual telling others they can't go fast in a manual..... The op asked a question about what best RPM to side step for launch is..... Someone answered there are many variables to this. That's the correct answer. All drive trains behave differently, and depending on the skill set of the driver, this will determine the best RPM to launch at..... That's all that is needs to be said.

I get that everyone has an opinion and we should respect everyone's POV, but there are those of us out her that refuse to drive an auto trans no matter how capable they are...… I race manual cars. My car was extremely fast for what it was in it's original form. I'm sure when I'm finish with the rebuild, very few auto trans cars no what what the build is will be as fast/quick as what I'm putting together.

Please be careful in stating no one should build a manual..... The truth is, folks should build what they enjoy driving and except the limitations of said platform.... Again I'm not trying to start any issues but I'm beyond tired of hearing this community tout the A8 (however awesome it is, it too has limitations) and putting down the TR6060. There are plenty of TR6060 cars running deep 8 second passes, and some in the 7's. I get it they are in GM and Ford platforms but the transmission is capable of big numbers someone just has to be crazy enough (I'm your huckleberry) to push them.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
It will, it will go into 8th at just under 45-50 MPH when coasting along, nail it, and it will drop to 2nd.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure, auto's can shift faster (man vs computer). But, there is some HP loss through an auto vs direct drive. So, while in gear, a manual is accelerating faster. I did the homework on this before I ordered my M6. Let the fireworks fly.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
Sure, auto's can shift faster (man vs computer). But, there is some HP loss through an auto vs direct drive. So, while in gear, a manual is accelerating faster. I did the homework on this before I ordered my M6. Let the fireworks fly.
Typically all modern automatics are locked up once moving. I can feel it lock up in 1st as I pull out. And there is no RPM flare in any gear, the converter is basically always locked while driving unless during a shift, or when stopped and pulling out.

To me a big reason to get an automatic is the 8 speeds, not the lack of clutch.
I got a manual Chrysler Crossfire because it was 6M or A5. Then my SLK was 6M or A7, I chose the A7 (it rocked)!

I would love to drive a M6 Challenger in a road course environment, THAT has to be a hoot! The A8 is super nice in M mode and decent in autostick mode, but to me, dropping down a manual into a turn isn't the same as the automatics.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
Fireworks, coming up! Back in the day, a friend of mine used to say that a four speed was worth 50 horsepower. When I was asked what kind of shift kit I had in my Charger (440 Magnum and a four speed), my answer was "Hurst". The questioner said "Hurst doesn't make shift kits". My answer "it ain't an automatic". Now, if that doesn't start the fireworks, I don't know what will. Have fun.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
I had a 3000 rpm stall installed in my A8, it gives you Torque Multiplication.
I also added paddle shifters, you pull the downshift one and hold it, it puts you in the lowest gear it can go in at that speed and you punch it and the car breaks both rear wheels loose. I added a Limited slip from a Scat Pack Automatic too. :D

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Typically all modern automatics are locked up once moving. I can feel it lock up in 1st as I pull out. And there is no RPM flare in any gear, the converter is basically always locked while driving unless during a shift, or when stopped and pulling out.

To me a big reason to get an automatic is the 8 speeds, not the lack of clutch.
I got a manual Chrysler Crossfire because it was 6M or A5. Then my SLK was 6M or A7, I chose the A7 (it rocked)!

I would love to drive a M6 Challenger in a road course environment, THAT has to be a hoot! The A8 is super nice in M mode and decent in autostick mode, but to me, dropping down a manual into a turn isn't the same as the automatics.
I understand what you are saying but there is something that puzzles me. Published Scat Pack 1/4 mile ET's for the A8 and M6 give the A8 a .2 second edge. Even a skilled driver will take longer than .2 seconds to shift the M6 at least 4 times in the 1/4 mile. So where is that time being made up? Seems to me it would be in the greater drive train loss of the A8 vs the M6. But I am open to explanations. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts