Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RT 5.7 M6 TORED
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Tored RT Shaker 530 miles
I've driven as many manual trans vehicles as automatics. My daily driver was a 2016 wrangler sport 6sp v6. prior to this RT shaker. Wanted to make some comments on the ease of shifting and surprises found driving the same hilly terrain, and city driving as with my jeep to help others to make the jump (literally) to the manual.
I've driven bmw 3 and 5 series with standards, mustang GT's, hondas, multiple jeeps etc etc.
This has got to be the best shifting experience of them all.
Initially when considering a challenger manual, was trying to find a 6sp challenger of any kind to test drive. My mechanic has a 2015 with 6sp and his clutch is like pushing a cinder block very very heavy. I was very concerned. So how to test drive a challenger? Can't buy one on faith alone? So i did some research, the trans is the same as the mustang but the clutch is not. Soooo trying to give future owners insight into this experience.

I could easily find a mustang to try out the clutch, mustangGT has the power haven't compared torque curves. The mustang clutch effort and engagement are essentially the same ---it starts just off the floor requiring about 2-3 inches of foot travel. My jeep needs at least twice that---much more foot travel in the jeep. This challenger has Much shorter engagement when compared to what i remember of my hondas and bmw's making this easy peasy to drive.

Now for the ease of driving: city, hills, curves, downshifts as I turn---compared to the jeep i'm shift half as much, what i had to down shift 4>3>2 going up a hill i can now do in 4th no lugging just smooth power. I'm doing in 4th and 5th what i had to do in 3rd or even 2nd in the jeep or any other manual i've driven. The bmw's same issue, hondas etc which require much higher rpms and lots and lots of foot traffic leg fatigue. I'd get tired doing that in city, stop and go and with the hills around my house. My wife says my shifts are much smoother than when i shift in my jeep.

I'm finding 1-2-5, 2-4, 2-4-6 shifts are working quite well for me. Skip shift hasn't engaged at all.
Essentially for city and around town stop and go some highway its a 3 speed (my friends daughter uses 2/4 most) requiring half the number of shifts. Now i'm not trying to be nascar, or grand prix around town just driving as a sane courteous driver.

I"ll tell you why--GOOD OL' AMERICAN V8 TORQUE---so much power making this an easy drive.

Now with all this power comes responsibility, i'm an engaged driver i enjoy the sound and feel of this thing and i pay attention, if you are distracted or have lots of busyness in your car this may not be for you, then get the automatic, but boy is this a dream to drive a manual.

Wish more would consider the manual. sure glad i did

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
2021 Tored RT Shaker 530 miles
I've driven as many manual trans vehicles as automatics. My daily driver was a 2016 wrangler sport 6sp v6. prior to this RT shaker. Wanted to make some comments on the ease of shifting and surprises found driving the same hilly terrain, and city driving as with my jeep to help others to make the jump (literally) to the manual.
I've driven bmw 3 and 5 series with standards, mustang GT's, hondas, multiple jeeps etc etc.
This has got to be the best shifting experience of them all.
Initially when considering a challenger manual, was trying to find a 6sp challenger of any kind to test drive. My mechanic has a 2015 with 6sp and his clutch is like pushing a cinder block very very heavy. I was very concerned. So how to test drive a challenger? Can't buy one on faith alone? So i did some research, the trans is the same as the mustang but the clutch is not. Soooo trying to give future owners insight into this experience.

I could easily find a mustang to try out the clutch, mustangGT has the power haven't compared torque curves. The mustang clutch effort and engagement are essentially the same ---it starts just off the floor requiring about 2-3 inches of foot travel. My jeep needs at least twice that---much more foot travel in the jeep. This challenger has Much shorter engagement when compared to what i remember of my hondas and bmw's making this easy peasy to drive.

Now for the ease of driving: city, hills, curves, downshifts as I turn---compared to the jeep i'm shift half as much, what i had to down shift 4>3>2 going up a hill i can now do in 4th no lugging just smooth power. I'm doing in 4th and 5th what i had to do in 3rd or even 2nd in the jeep or any other manual i've driven. The bmw's same issue, hondas etc which require much higher rpms and lots and lots of foot traffic leg fatigue. I'd get tired doing that in city, stop and go and with the hills around my house. My wife says my shifts are much smoother than when i shift in my jeep.

I'm finding 1-2-5, 2-4, 2-4-6 shifts are working quite well for me. Skip shift hasn't engaged at all.
Essentially for city and around town stop and go some highway its a 3 speed (my friends daughter uses 2/4 most) requiring half the number of shifts. Now i'm not trying to be nascar, or grand prix around town just driving as a sane courteous driver.

I"ll tell you why--GOOD OL' AMERICAN V8 TORQUE---so much power making this an easy drive.

Now with all this power comes responsibility, i'm an engaged driver i enjoy the sound and feel of this thing and i pay attention, if you are distracted or have lots of busyness in your car this may not be for you, then get the automatic, but boy is this a dream to drive a manual.

Wish more would consider the manual. sure glad i did
By "2-4" or "2-4'6" I hope that does not mean the car is being started from a stop using 2nd gear.

While the engine does have a good amount of torque the transmission has a 1st gear for a reason and it should be used to get the car moving from a stop. All a start in 2nd accomplishes is subjecting the clutch to more and needless wear and tear.

Once the car is rolling in 1st gear skipping from say 1st to 3rd or even 4th -- if the RPMs are high enough in 1st gear (I found around 3K "high enough" (at least wtih my Scat Pack) -- is ok.

The mechanic's 2015 with a hard to operate clutch may have an aftermarket clutch installed.Or possibly the clutch is worn out. As the clutch disc wears this results in a reduction of mechanical leverag which requires more pedal pressure.

While one might not think this could be that much my experience is with a worn clutch the pedal effort required to operate the clutch is considerably more than it would otherwise.

Have to say that while the clutch/transmission in my 2020 Scat Pack is pretty good it is not quite to the level the transmission were in my 3 Porsche cars nor even my 2018 MINI JCW. Part of the reason is for all these cars the engine output was less -- the most powerful car had 420hp -- and as a result the transmission didn't need to be as heavily constructed. To be sure all the transmissions were quite well built and quite adequate. I drove several cars to 150K and one to 317K miles and had zero transmission problems. Only had one clutch needing replacement at over 150K miles when the throw out bearing failed. In another while the clutch was not slipping it was the very high pedal pressure that clued me the clutch needed to be replaced. But this was the factory clutch with 317K miles on it. And with zero 2nd gear starts...

Last but not least I got a test drive in the Scat Pack before I bought it. As is my habit I had the salesman take me on a test ride. This allows me to pay attention to the car and how it behaves. In some cases -- my Hellcat -- I never drove the car before buying it but for some reason I wanted to test drive the Scat Pack and the salesman was ok with that. I just drove a few blocks to the a main street then a few blocks on it to the freeway. Got on the freeway -- nothing crazy -- and drove a mile to the next exit and took the 1st right onto the street that runs in front of the Dodge dealer. Don't think I put even 3 miles on the car. But the salesman knew I was serious about buying a car. I had shown up with my Hellcat and its title/registration/keys ready to trade it in. I wasn't just some guy killing time looking to test drive new Challengers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts