Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just curious what the stock clutch lifespan might be. Knowing that it all depends on how you drive, track the vehicle, and race. But when have you guys replaced yours what mileage? And also what clutch did you use for replacement? Possibly price on parts and labor if known.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I got 20,000 of the hardest miles I have ever put on a vehicle out of my clutch. I would say that upgrading the fluid is crucial. The stock fluid sucks. I am not your typical driver. Were I to drive like a normal human being I would have gotten 5x that out of it but alas my right foot weighs 500 pounds. I replaced it with a McLeod RST that I bought for $952. I purchased it from Summit Racing. Should arrive today but as far as install labor I was quoted $450 by a local shop

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I drive my car fairly hard and track it once or twice a year. I bought the car used, the guy before me babied and garage kept it. I have 23k on it now. It's not slipping or any signs of problems yet. Just curious as to when I should plan to start a budget for it.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
If you're worried just put the money aside in a separate account and don't touch it, then when it goes out you're set. Start now and you wont be screwed later.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what the savings account is for lol.
Just wanted to know when to expect it and look for signs of slippage.
Must have been my heavy boots on the way to work sticking on the clutch.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I brought up the separate account because then no matter what happens the money is there where as plenty of things (home ownership for 1 thing) can cause you to go low on your savings rather quickly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed lol.
I appreciate the tip though.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
No problem, I've always been the type where when I see a possible expense coming up, I put money away as soon as possible and in a place I know I won't gravitate towards in the event I have bills to pay.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Ive got 50k out of mine. Multiple trips to the track and hard driving. Its about done though.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,000 Posts
When I traded my 2010 SRT I had about 36,0000 miles, around 120+ 1/4 mile passes and several auto crosses. The clutch did not have any issues. I did not launch high rpm and as a daily driver I would like to think I took it easy on the clutch.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I got 20,000 of the hardest miles I have ever put on a vehicle out of my clutch. I would say that upgrading the fluid is crucial. The stock fluid sucks. I am not your typical driver. Were I to drive like a normal human being I would have gotten 5x that out of it but alas my right foot weighs 500 pounds. I replaced it with a McLeod RST that I bought for $952. I purchased it from Summit Racing. Should arrive today but as far as install labor I was quoted $450 by a local shop
CHanging fluid in your clutch??? What did you replace it with and how did you drain it??

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I haven't replaced it yet because I am going to get the clutch changed. I will have the upgraded fluid put in when the shop buttons the car back up. I intend to use the AMSoil ATF fluid to the factory viscosity.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a 2010 RT 6 speed with 72,000 on it and the original clutch. I dont baby it but at the same time I dont take it to the drag strip either. Still has plenty of life in it.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Yeah I overheated it so that hurt it bad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but there are only a handful of responses here (and I think it's good info), so I wanted to chime in with my experience also.

My 2010 R/T just hit 50k and I had no signs of clutch slip or a worn clutch yet. It's probably about to get replaced since the dealer is opening up the tranny to fix the opposite problem; i.e. the clutch is being too sticky/isn't disengaging fully due to lubricant issues (see: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/i-think-i-should-head-dealership-6-speed-issue-38859/). I'll ask, and if he says how much life he thinks it still had left, I'll update.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
CHanging fluid in your clutch??? What did you replace it with and how did you drain it??
I'm sorry but back when I was posting in this thread, I was referring to the transmission fluid. Not the clutch. Wow, that makes me look like such a Noob.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Did nobody ever tell yall not to ride the clutch? Lol. Ive got 130k miles on my OEM clutch, still grabs like the day i got her. And i bought the car when i was 19.... Now im 25. So its been driven... Hard lol. Lots of time spent at the strip, some autocross, and the occasional street race. I wouldnt doubt this clutch will last till a minimum of 160k miles, maybe longer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts