Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some indicators that a clutch is wearing down?

I have a 2015 RT Shaker with about 25k on it. Lately I have noticed that 3rd gear takes more effort to get into.

This is the first manual I have owned and I admit to a pretty steep learning curve when I first started driving, particularly when accelerating.

I am worried that I may have been too hard on it, and grinding gears too many times. I am thinking of taking it into the dealership as I am still under warranty, but I would like to know what to look for.

Ashton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
It's hard to say, but unless the clutch has been contaminated with oil from a leak or you have put 25k miles on 1/4 mile at a time, the clutch is probably fine.

If it's not slipping in say, 4th or 5th gear at highway speeds and full throttle, it's probably OK.

It's more likely that you are not pushing the clutch in all the way - maybe the floor mat is stopping you?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I am thinking of taking it into the dealership as I am still under warranty, but I would like to know what to look for.

Ashton.

I believe the clutch is only warranty for a year or 12k miles. I had a 2013 R/T 6sp and had over 45k miles on it with still a good clutch so as other's have mentioned, unless you've been racing the car every weekend I doubt it's a clutch issue. I did have issues with shifting into 3rd and it wound it being a recall for re-greasing the spindle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use WeatherTech mats, I will check but I don't think that is the issue.

I definitely have not been "racing" the car, enjoying it is probably the better description. I will check to see if there are any 2015 recalls.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Clutch delay valve, read about it in the drive train section of performance modifications. You will find your problem there and how to fix it. Its not your clutch that's bad, its the way the hydraulics work that's the problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clutch delay valve, read about it in the drive train section of performance modifications. You will find your problem there and how to fix it. Its not your clutch that's bad, its the way the hydraulics work that's the problem.

I will look into that, thanks.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I removed the clutch delay valve in my 2011 and it made a huge difference. I haven't had any shifting problem when cold anymore.

I have around 35,000 miles and I have noticed what appears to be the same problems described with the wrong grease being on the input shaft. Can't get it out of first or reverse after parking on a slight incline. Hard to get out of gear when shifting occasionally but rarely, etc.

Figured that grease problem would have been resolved by 2015 though.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Have you installed a skip shift eliminator? I use to force 3rd before I discovered the evil that is called skip shift.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
A very easy test to see if your clutch is slipping is to find level ground. Put it in first with the clutch pedal fully depressed and slowly raise the RPMs. If the car starts to inch forward, the clutch is slipping. I usually test up to 3500 RPM. If no movement, I'm satisfied that the clutch is ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts