Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Clutch Master Fluid?

9K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Mickey LaBelle 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Was looking to remove the clutch delay valve this weekend and can't seem to locate what type brake fluid the clutch master takes as owners manual only list for Brakes, DOT3 SAE J1703, is it the same?

Also read something about the Clutch master gets fluid from the brake master, is this correct?

2020 Scat Pack M6

Regards,
Jim

#2 ·
Hi,

Was looking to remove the clutch delay valve this weekend and can't seem to locate what type brake fluid the clutch master takes as owners manual only list for Brakes, DOT3 SAE J1703, is it the same?

Also read something about the Clutch master gets fluid from the brake master, is this correct?

2020 Scat Pack M6

Regards,
Jim
This subject has some interest to me. I just bought a 2020 Scat Pack with a 6-speed. I may want to remove the CDV.

Here's what I could find and this is for a several years old car. The clutch fluid system is self bleeding apparently.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
06 - Clutch/Standard Procedure

STANDARD PROCEDURE - CLUTCH SYSTEM BLEED

NOTE:Be certain the clutch pedal returns to the upper most position while bleeding the clutch system.
NOTE:It may take as many as two hundred strokes of the clutch pedal to properly bleed the clutch system.

1. Check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir. If the brake fluid level is not up to the step in the reservoir, add DOT 4 brake fluid.
  2. Slowly depress the clutch pedal.
    • If pedal feels hard in a short distance, air is present in the clutch slave cylinder.
    • If pedal feels spongy, air is present in the clutch master cylinder.
  3. Continue checking the fluid level while depressing and releasing the clutch pedal. Depress and release the clutch pedal until an appropriate clutch pedal response and feel is achieved.

And this. I will post a link rather than try to cut/paste the info:

I would modify the above. Rather than use "DOT 4" brake fluid pick up a can of the right brake fluid -- even if is it DOT 4 -- from a nearby Dodge dealer parts counter with "Mopar" on the can.

I am a bit OCD when it comes to (possibly) mixing fluids and mixing brake fluid is no different.

#3 ·
as is common on many cars today, the clutch and the brakes share a common reservoir

the CDV is at the slave cylinder end (by bell housing) of the system. Be careful with the retainer clip that secures the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder - many have had the clip go flying off and lose it.

the other is to be careful and not scratch the coupler barrel with any tool - otherwise you'll have leaks.

the restrictor is held in with an o-ring within the line. A lot of people have used a drywall screw to catch the restrictor and then pull it out.

the clutch is a self-bleeding system, can take 200 full pedal strokes to get it to bleed completely per the service notes.

DOT3 is the recommended fluid, and DOT4 is acceptable per the service materials

The CDV buffers the clutch engagement as the pedal is release, to reduce shock on the driveline with abrupt clutch release

Reactions: A Guy
#4 ·
When I take my car in for its first oil change -- probably next week as I have eye surgery scheduled for Wednesday AM -- I'll ask if the CDV can be removed and the hydraulic system bled. Normally I'd offer to pump the clutch "200" times but I'm not supposed to exert myself for some time after surgery and even a week is not sufficient time.

#5 ·
I'm pretty skeptical a dealer will do that - if they are even aware of the restrictor. Its present on any slave cylinder that would be replaced.

all the restrictor does is affect the clutch release rate. If you're racing at the track, you may notice it.

For the street, from those that I've talked to, it doesn't matter much on the street. I only notice it if starting off in 1st, going up my (incline) driveway. any other shifts, I don't notice it

#8 ·
After posting I decided to try to live with the CDV just to see if I could. I'm loathe to make any changes to my cars unless I really realy have to and the Scat Pack is no exception.

The problem is not the CDV but me. I'm a bit rusty driving a manual. Funny how just a few months away from a manual -- I sold my manual transmission equipped MINI JCW in July this year and all I've been driving is my Hellcat (automatic) and my M-B Metris (automatic) -- causes one's manual driving to get stale. Then bam I'm in the Scat Pack with its 6-speed.

With more driving I'm getting back in the groove and I do not think the CDV is even a factor at least for me on the street.
I was wondering when I saw you mention the Scat Pack...now that you sold the MINI it makes sense.

a couple of things I can't recommend enough:
get the skip shift eliminatior once you've been caught off guard with skip-shift...you'll want to disable it
Barton shifter. It will get rid of the vague 2nd gear gate (...is it all the way in? (grind)...nope) as well as the long 2nd > 3rd throws and the 4th > 5th throw (you can retain the stock shift handle which costs less if you like)

#9 ·
I was wondering when I saw you mention the Scat Pack...now that you sold the MINI it makes sense.

a couple of things I can't recommend enough:
Skip shift? I have not even really thought about that. I saw no evidence of it during the test ride or my (brief) test drive.

The other day I thought when I had some trouble going from 1st to 2nd I thought it was just me but I guess it was the skip shift.

But just for grins I tried to cause the skip shift to happen but was unsuccessful.

My first encounter with skip shift -- in my 2001 Camara Z28 -- which I "easily" defeated this by just adopting a style of driving that never triggered the skip shift.

Then when I bought my 2006 GTO after a bit I bought a Predator and used it to among other things disable the skip shift.

Based on the 2020 Dodge Challenger owners manual skip shift only happens between 19mph and 21mph. I will either strive to shift before 19mph or above 21mph. If I find the skip shift happening still -- because the lower or higher speeds in 1st gear do not happen for some reason -- I'll think about what to do about this.

#6 ·
I'd not even mention it if it's a dealer. They'd surely not do it, and might flag it in their system. If you just do it, they'd likely never notice, and you could always claim it's never been touched by you if you had a related problem. if it's flagged in their system, they could use it as an excuse.

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.