Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot of us have been doing this clutch mod thing, but think about this. When the blue X and the "black quad seal" are removed we have created a problem. Here's why. While changing oil I looked up and saw a drip a oil on the clutch hose that goes into the CDV. Hmmm. Why. The hose was pushed out some from the CDV. So I pushed it back in, maybe a scant 1/16", went and pushed the clutch pedal 10 times. The hose was pushed back out. The only thing holding it in was Jesus -Clip. Hmmm. It dawned on me that the "black quad seal" is there to keep clutch line pressure off the end of the clutch line, it's not a spacer. So...I took a Holley carb jet, gently sanded it to same O.D. of the blue X, cut the threads off of jet and gently sanded to same thickness of the blue X. Then I drilled the jet out a little bigger than the opening of the black quad seal. Took about an hour do this, I'm slow. I took a metal screw and tested insert and removal of the new spacer. Installed the black quad seal. I stuck the hose back in the CDV housing just a little a let it drip until it was leaking out of CDV. Was trying to get all air out. Pushed the clutch hose in all the way, re-installed the Jesus-clip. Spray and wiped everything off, finished changing oil. Later on, no drips anywhere. Went and pushed clutch pedal 10 times, first 2 where a little weak, rest felt pretty solid. Looked at clutch hose and Jesus-clip, still sitting flat with no movement. Pushed car off ramps, started car, pushed in clutch at same time putting shifter into 2nd gear. Almost went right in. Hmmm. Drove car making sure I pushed clutch fully in before shifting. After 15 times using clutch pedal, from a dead stop, pushing clutch same time as putting into any gear was flawless. Clutch felt and shifting was good before....it's better now. Not much but better. Crawled back under car, no movement or leaks. Sorry for long post. But think about it, with the black quad seal out clutch hydraulic pressure is now pushing on the end of the clutch hose. The little o-ring on end of clutch hose is the only seal now to keep it from leaking, worse yet....all that's holding hose in against clutch pressure now is the Jesus -clip.
Now I know I'll get alot of "I've done this for X amount of years and X amount miles with no problems". Not yet in my opinion. Mine was leaking, hose had to be moving some putting stress on the Jesus-clip. Now it's just as if nothing seal wise was changed. My thoughts, my way of fixing it. :icon_cheers:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts