Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back I noticed that under hard/semi-hard acceleration, when I am disengaging and engaging the clutch, I hear a rattle or pinging noise from under the car. At first I thought it was the new cat back exhaust that I installed coming loose after break-in. I tightened it back up and still hear the sound.... This does not happen under "normal" driving, slow speeds, or when I shift during normal operation... Any idea what this could be? I guess I should also add that I cannot recreate the noise by revving the motor while in neutral, even while pressing or releasing the clutch while out of gear... :scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Your explanation sounds like possibly: a broken and/or collapsed clutch disc dampener spring(s) in one of your discs...these are the springs you see around the inner circumference of a typical clutch disc, their purpose is to dampen the shock load twisting forces that are put on the center of the disc hub (input shaft) when the clutch is engaged...causes of failure usually include but are not limited to hard launches, burnouts and catching the tip on rollbacks...typically the springs will break before there is a problem with a pressure plate pivot lever (that may sound the same as your noise) in a perfect world...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uggggg..... I hope you are wrong but I have a sneaking suspicion that you have identified my problem.. Any idea what it takes to fix? Would I need to have the tranny pulled to swap out the broken or damaged dampener springs?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yes if they find/suspect the noise is coming from inside the bell housing they will have to pull the trans and remove the clutch assembly and inspect all related parts...as far as replacing just the springs, that's usually not how it's done and the replacement of the entire disc(s) would be the repair if they are in fact found damaged...tips and suggestions: if you're normally hard on the car I would suggest an aftermarket clutch setup (comes with flywheel) and you'll have to relearn your engagement swing due to it grabbing closer to the floor..understand that aftermarket/high performance clutches (depending on what you pick) are mostly noisy and will take some getting use to being their engagements can be a little on the brutal side, some are pretty heavy and will cause calf cramping LOL...keep in mind this route can be expensive and end up not being to your liking..going back with oem stock parts is best for what the car was designed for and is usually quite sufficient up to or beyond the hp rating at the transmission depending on the operator...hope it's just a minor snafu though, good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
How many miles on the car? If you have more than 40,000 miles, and you have it apart to check the springs, I would put in a new clutch anyway even if there aren't any broken springs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is a 2010 with less than 9k miles on it. The clutch still seems to operate just fine but makes that faint/scary little noise. I've launched the car a few times to see what it could do 0-60 but it is not a common practice. If this is the problem, I'll be very frustrated that it didn't hold up and broke so easily. I'll also hate the fact that I'll be too scared to ever launch it again for fear of breaking. Since it doesn't make any noise under normal conditions, would it hurt anything to continue to drive it normally?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If it is a spring issue I would say it's ok to drive it, the springs are held captive in their pockets and cannot come out whether they are solid, shattered or broken in half

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I have the same mystery sqweek on my 2011 SRT...just noticed it tonight. I drive the thing like a girl and VERY rarely launch hard...not even hard at all...I more launch very light and hten get into it...but in no way abuse it. No clutchless shifting or hard shifting...nothing even remotely resembling abuse....

The noise isnt every time, its not when I actuate the clutch in and out....its only once in a while when I am shifting....VERY NERVE WRACKING!!

Honestly I thought it was maybe the heat shield vibrating when I initially heard it....but it was repeatable in the parking lot....then when I get to my neighborhood, boom, no more noise....its gonna be the end of me I swear!!! I had also jsut replaced the transmission brace with the Petty one, so I thought maybe a loose bolt...but its not that either...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts