Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having a very difficult time trying to figure out what clutch I need in my 2009 dodge challenger r/t. The dealer gives me a part number that shows a single disk setup for my vin. The auto parts stores say it's a double clutch disk setup as well as mechanic with my vin. My question is who is right? What in the vin deciphers a single or double, will production date help? I want a spec clutch and they say double. Please help, thank you!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,006 Posts
Hey guys, I'm having a very difficult time trying to figure out what clutch I need in my 2009 dodge challenger r/t. The dealer gives me a part number that shows a single disk setup for my vin. The auto parts stores say it's a double clutch disk setup as well as mechanic with my vin. My question is who is right? What in the vin deciphers a single or double, will production date help? I want a spec clutch and they say double. Please help, thank you!

What's the part #? Google it and see what turns up.

With no part # I just did a search (2009 dodge challenger r/t clutch) and found two clutch kits available for your car.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2009/dodge/challenger/clutch/clutch_kit.html

Both kits appear to be dual disc clutches.

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
I'd stay out of the auto parts store and let Luke send you the OEM clutch that you need. The the factory clutch is way better than anything you can buy at the parts store.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This appears to be a single disk. If I get the dual disk with the flywheel, will that work? What makes a dual disk work on an 2009?

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
OEM is dual disc but other disc is partially hidden inside the pressure plate so it looks like a single disc.

That 05038119AH is the number posted in another clutch thread, it is the dual 240mm disc clutch.

He upgraded his clutch on his 6.4L to the 258mm dual disc Hellcat setup and that clutch will bolt right up too but it's pricey, that number is 05038769AB.

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
No idea. I like stock OEM clutches because their driveability on the street is so good, that looks like a race clutch and they usually drive bad on the street.

Does your car have engine mods and need a stronger clutch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has flowmasters, intake, Diablo tune. I want to do long tube headers, cam and maybe a few other things to it. I hear good things about this clutch and it engages closer to the floor with a slightly stiffer feel with the stage 1 clutch. Comes with the aluminum flywheel too which I like.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Spec is junk stay away

If you go after market look at McLeod or Hays dragon claw
But be prepared to spend 12-1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Some people put a hellcat clutch in but would have to verify figment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
Hellcat clutch fits according to the guy who did the install but I can't find his post on here, the 6.1, 6.4 and Hellcat engines all use the same flywheel according to him, part number 05038113AC.

On the Mcleod clutch, I've seen some posts where they have used the RXT twin disc and like it so Craig, just google up Hellcat McLeod clutch and should find some threads.

And defintely do the clutch delay valve mod if you have not already.

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
Here's some pics of the McLeod RXT 1200 twin disc and flywheel I found online..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts