Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had a great time at Daytona track day until my clutch went out. My car only has 5,000 miles on it. I was not slamming gears or that hard on it. The dealer is saying that Chrysler is not going to honor the warranty. Sucks. If I am going to have to fix it myself I want to upgrade it to a better twin disk clutch. Any suggestions. I am looking at a McLeod from Speedlogix

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are saying I was abusive with it

·
Registered
262 Posts
Did you talk to an SRT service rep on the phone? Did they take the car apart already? They need to prove it. Dont help them with info. I drive my SRT pretty damn hard. 9000 miles and it is still doong just fine.

Javier

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not told them anything. Waiting for the general warranty manager to call me

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
The warranty book actually says that the clutch is never covered, the exception being cases where Chrysler screwed up and that caused the clutch to fail (Star case for the wrong grease, for example). I'd think with so few miles that they'd do a good-will repair, but I guess not. :(

I've never heard of a clutch failing with only 5,000 miles. What happened? What are the symptoms?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I just read that. Going to go ahead and upgrade it

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
Under 12,000 miles they are covered more than they will admit. Most important factor being you're not a recent stick driver. Until they tear it down they can't say no. Look around this forum, more than a few got defective clutches direct from the factory.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
The other clutch that gets praise around here is SPEC. When I had to pay for a new clutch recently (Bad grease) I looked into McLeod and SPEC...then went back to the OEM Sachs when I found out that one aftermarket clutch cost 3x-4x what the OEM does, not including labor. So I went with the OEM. Unless you're heavily modified the stock clutch should last a long time, driving habits not withstanding.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Under 12,000 miles they are covered more than they will admit. Most important factor being you're not a recent stick driver. Until they tear it down they can't say no. Look around this forum, more than a few got defective clutches direct from the factory.
Nope. That only applies to brake parts and certain other consumables. Clutches are never covered, the exception being if the wrong grease Star case can be applied, but that case only applies to pre-2011 vehicles (Ask me how I know. ;)).

The warranty clearly states...

NOTE:
MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH
PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I have talked to several that like the ram and mccloud but heard mixed reviews on the spec..

sent from mobile device

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
Nope. That only applies to brake parts and certain other consumables. Clutches are never covered, the exception being if the wrong grease Star case can be applied, but that case only applies to pre-2011 vehicles (Ask me how I know. ;)).

The warranty clearly states...

[/FONT]
I understand what you're saying and the part you copied to the post but there have been members here who received bad clutches and did get them replaced free.
You'd be surprised at what a dealer can get done if they really want to help a customer. There are times when they have "good will" money they can use.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I understand what you're saying and the part you copied to the post but there have been members here who received bad clutches and did get them replaced free.
You'd be surprised at what a dealer can get done if they really want to help a customer. There are times when they have "good will" money they can use.
I understand that, and have had dealers/Chrysler perform good-will repairs on other vehicles (and I did mention good-will repairs earlier in this thread. ;)), my point was simply that one shouldn't expect to have the clutch covered at any point since it's not officially covered. Some dealers are cool and will try to help out, others are just after the money since "customer pay" pays more than warranty reimbursement.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Just an FYI, I work at a Dealership and just ran the Labor Operation to replace the clutch on my SRT, it shows covered under the 1/12 warranty ( 1 year 12k)

LOP Coverage LOP Coverage Details LOP Number LOP Description Time(Hours) Book Carline Claim Type LOP Coverage Result 06150105 Clutch Kit-TREMIC Transmission 2.7 R H W,M,F,K,S,T,A COVERED UNDER THE 1/12 WEAR ITEM

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dealer tried to push to get it covered but got shot down by Chrysler. I ended up going with the Spec clutch. It was about the same money as the OEM. My dealer is giving me a deal on the labor

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
My dealer tried to push to get it covered but got shot down by Chrysler. I ended up going with the Spec clutch. It was about the same money as the OEM. My dealer is giving me a deal on the labor
Let us know how you like the Spec. Must be quite the deal since my OEM clutch + labor ran about $1100 out the door. Going with a Spec or McLeod would've doubled the price.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow maybe they are not giving me much of a deal. They told me it would be 1,450 just in parts for the OEM. I paid 1,490 for the Spec shipped and they are charging me 200 to install it

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Wow maybe they are not giving me much of a deal. They told me it would be 1,450 just in parts for the OEM. I paid 1,490 for the Spec shipped and they are charging me 200 to install it
Ouch!

OEM clutch kit is about $450 from Steve White and labor ran me about $660.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 26 Posts