Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see alot of you guys running these rims , is there any problem running the real deal as i came across a set for a decent price. i believe they came from ford in 17x9? Also tire recomendations? be just used at the track and going on 10 srt8

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
grab em!!!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
nt05r and m&h drags!

·
Banned
804 Posts
Just make sure the hubs are the right size. On the factory rims the hub size can be smaller than ours. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the reproduction wheels.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just make sure the hubs are the right size. On the factory rims the hub size can be smaller than ours. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the reproduction wheels.
any idea , of the size diffrence my car is in storage , the reason i am asking the ?s

·
Banned
642 Posts
I have Cobra R knock offs and I did have to take some material away so they would fit over the hub. About 2 or 3 mm on the inside by each lug hole. Very easy to do with a dremel

BTW - There will be a bunch of guys that tell you not to run these so this is your call. I have had no issues with these wheels. They are 17 x 9's and I am running a 28 x 10 inch drag slick

Attachments

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Our hubs are 71.5mm. Most Corba R wheels are 73mm, but you need to make sure. It's a real PITA if you put a 71mm hub wheel on your 71.5mm hub. It's very hard to get off. Seen it happen.

I run the knock offs and they fit fine. I'd recommend some cheap hub centric rings to keep the lugs centered while you tighten them up.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Anyone have an opinion regarding the use of the 114.3 (i.e., Ford) bolt circle on our 115mm hubs? I always figured it was a bad idea.
I wish I could prove otherwise. It certainly would open up our wheel options.

FWIW, I have no problem with the idea of boring out the centers.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have Cobra R knock offs and I did have to take some material away so they would fit over the hub. About 2 or 3 mm on the inside by each lug hole. Very easy to do with a dremel

BTW - There will be a bunch of guys that tell you not to run these so this is your call. I have had no issues with these wheels. They are 17 x 9's and I am running a 28 x 10 inch drag slick

I use a regular GT 17 x 8 rim for a 99 to 04 car, but I also had to grind the lip off. I use a 26 x 11.50 M/T E/T street radial.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys i guess i will grab these rims. how big of a tire can i run. stock height for now but that might change

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Tires

I have a brand new set of MT 275/40/17 Drag Radials for sale $300.00 plus shipping. I had them mounted didn't like the shorter tire, 10 miles on them to and from tire store. I bought the M&H's. The oringal price for both was $404.00 plus shipping. That's over a $100.00 saving. PM me if interested.
thanks guys i guess i will grab these rims. how big of a tire can i run. stock height for now but that might change

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a brand new set of MT 275/40/17 Drag Radials for sale $300.00 plus shipping. I had them mounted didn't like the shorter tire, 10 miles on them to and from tire store. I bought the M&H's. The oringal price for both was $404.00 plus shipping. That's over a $100.00 saving. PM me if interested.

ya thanks but being in canada time i pay shipping the brokerage fees it would be more then new i am afraid.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Flat Top you might want to look at M&H DRs I have a set that I bought just for the track on Cobra R wheels. I got out Monday afternoon on a back road near my house trying them out. They hook up really good. It was the first time since I put the Vortech on that I could leave from a dead stop go WOT and not spin or jump side ways. The road I was on has very slick pavement and they would dead hook everytime. I have the 275-50-17 tire.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Anyone have an opinion regarding the use of the 114.3 (i.e., Ford) bolt circle on our 115mm hubs? I always figured it was a bad idea.
I wish I could prove otherwise. It certainly would open up our wheel options.

FWIW, I have no problem with the idea of boring out the centers.
Be very careful in running 114.3 bolt circle on 115 hub. I am currently running a set of Cragar SS wheels with the 114.3 bolt circle on my SRT and CANNOT get them to balance properly at any speed over 70 MPH. Am running hubcentric rings also. Have gone so far as to have the wheels/tires balanced three different times by different shops and also put a new set of Nitto Invo's on it, all to no avail. Am just going to put the correct 115 mm wheel and eliminate the problem once and for all. I will be selling these wheels CHEAP very soon. Just run the correct bolt spacing to begin with and avoid all the potential problems. Just a word to the wise.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Be very careful in running 114.3 bolt circle on 115 hub. I am currently running a set of Cragar SS wheels with the 114.3 bolt circle on my SRT and CANNOT get them to balance properly at any speed over 70 MPH...
Thanks for your response. And not something that I would have considered (but will now.)
My main concern is the side load on the studs that would (possibly) be imparted by the slightly smaller bolt circle.
Anyone ever broken a stud? I figure that drag racing would be a good "go/no-go" test of this, although all of the loads would seem to be in a straight line (as opposed to cornering loads.)

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
While I like to keep things exactly as they should be and am quite OCD, I've seen 114.3 wheels used by enough people on these cars to not have a real concern.

I personally wouldn't use them for everyday driving, but I did go with the Cobra Rs for my DRs at the strip. I'll be testing them soon at well over 100MPH and can report back if there's any balance issues.

I just couldn't justify $500 a wheel for track wheels at this point.

There's a guy on the forum running 114.3 bolt pattern wheels on his Challenger at the TX mile, road course, and drag strip and has had no issues at all.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Speedy, I think you, me and Sam are the only ones running these wheels that do not have concerns. I as well only use for the drag strip and have seen 119 mph on the Cobra R's. Everything happens so fast it is over in 11 seconds and I don't even get a chance to notice a vibration! :browsmiley:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Speedy, I think you, me and Sam are the only ones running these wheels that do not have concerns. I as well only use for the drag strip and have seen 119 mph on the Cobra R's. Everything happens so fast it is over in 11 seconds and I don't even get a chance to notice a vibration! :browsmiley:
GSO is running 10.3s on his Cobra R rims and then there's the LOADS of LX guys some of them in the 9s.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts