Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out at lunch and the dreaded CEL popped on at start up. Stopped by the house to scan it, hopped on the bike and back to work. Research says small evap leak, hoping it's just the gas cap, I'll check it tonight. The inlaws are currently in a $2000 deep rabbit hole chasing an EVAP leak code on their Ford Explorer and it's still not fixed. I have zero intentions of doing all that. If it's not a gas cap or easy at home fix I'll be trading her off. Near 10 years and 155k I'm not dumping big bucks into it. Wish me luck, I hate to give her up. That no emissions Lil Red Express I've been eyeing is looking even better right now!!

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
Yeah small evap leak is a PITA for sure. A smoke machine might be able to find it but usually visual inspection of the hoses might prove a better way.

For $2K you can basically replaced the whole evap system and fuel tank.

·
Super Moderator
14,910 Posts
The OBD-II code, P0456, indicates a small leak in the evaporative emissions system. It's not a big problem. Besides the gas cap, it could be any of these:

EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses.
A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve.
Leaking EVAP Canister.

Here is how a mechanic would troubleshoot the problem. A scan tool would be used to activate the vent solenoid, sealing the system. Then the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor would be monitored. If the system is sealing properly, the number will stay consistent. If is isn't, the pressure sensor will show that as well. If the system slowly leaks, a smoke machine would be used to look for smoke exiting the system at any EVAP component. The faulty component will be identified by leaking smoke.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tightened the gas cap and drove to work. Light didn't come on, time and miles will tell....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts