Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One is forever. (Diamonds, DUH!)

And the other has a finite service life, after which their replacement is necessary in order to avoid the negative effects of driving a vehicle with worn out suspension components.

For worn out coil springs, the most noticeable negative effect of continued use is a sagging of the vehicle body/frame/suspension, aka a lowered ride height.

There are other, more serious consequences for running worn out coil springs, but this post is going to focus on the unintended loss of ride height and what that can lead to.

Relevant Details:
- I replaced the stock coil springs on my Charger a couple years (and 100K miles) ago with some Mopar Stage 1 lowering springs.

- The Stage 1 springs were used when I got them, with an unknown number of miles already put on them prior to installation in my car.

- I have replaced these Stage 1 springs after 100K miles in service on my car. Replacements were Eibach’s Sportline lowering springs.

- The Sportline springs actually raised my car’s ride height 1/4” in the front and 1/2” inch in the rear.

Conclusions I have drawn:
- the Stage 1 springs had at least 50K miles, (and possibly up to 100K miles) on them already before I installed them on my car.

- those Stage 1 springs were worn out and well past their useful service life by the time I replaced them.

- Most of the undercarriage damage on my car is directly attributable to running those Stage 1s for too long after I began to suspect they needed to be replaced (the rest of the damage can be attributed to a few too many 0-100 runs out on the Lake Ray Roberts bridge with those worn out springs and a sagging suspension).

I could try to describe the damage I am talking about, but I think pics will convey the sentiment just as good...or probably even better now that I think about it!

65EAFFAF-119C-427D-BA08-0DDED0FF126D.jpeg

E71FE6DA-56A1-4822-B358-A76497FBF589.jpeg

These first two really need a frame of reference to drive home how damaged they are. In that vein, here’s the other side (the good side):
B2E53CA0-DD72-4620-B7D6-E4CB4F810AEC.jpeg
2C34EC1E-8D36-4EDE-AA6F-CF99DCF92AD6.jpeg
1BCE32AC-BCC9-495A-B219-415F0F2B4472.jpeg
C53990A0-D615-4CF3-B630-F45339491A2F.jpeg
A46844EB-4AC5-4624-B42D-7F6C4E1EEBCF.jpeg
33285E4A-0E90-46AA-8D09-D04B8C84CE40.jpeg

These last couple are of the crossmember braces below the exhaust. I have drug them and disfigured them so badly, I have had to turn them around their mounts to stop from catching every bump I drive over and digging trenches in every dirt road I take:

So there you go gentlemen. That’s what you can expect if you ignore coil springs or decide to lower your ride height too drastically (2” is about the limit. Any more and you’re in trouble!).

Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Nuke

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,779 Posts
Who would have thunk that car would be less abused by the cops who beat on it before you bought it...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who would have thunk that car would be less abused by the cops who beat on it before you bought it...

A Guy
true...
🤔
depressing to consider actually...
🤔
but true...
😔

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,566 Posts
Sounds to me like it's time for you to go Challenger hunting Nuke. You've got another fix in the works every week.

Reactions: hemi1031

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
987 Posts
Sounds to me like it's time for you to go Challenger hunting Nuke. You've got another fix in the works every week.
Agreed! But yikes, what a mess under there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No need to draw attention to the insanely obvious when pointing out the merely obviously will suffice...

I no longer schedule and perform preventative maintenance on The Bacon Hauler. At this point, the vehicle has aged sufficiently and deteriorated enough from daily driving that all periodic preventative maintenance has been merged into one long continuous task just called “maintenance” that I’m forced to perform almost every day in order to head off any breakages or failures.

I shop for a new Challenger every day to replace this car, mostly just inside my own head though. The reality of the situation is I need to find a more predictable, steady job than the one I have now before I go trying to get into a monthly car payment.

But until then, Bacon exists and needs to be hauled! And so I will continue to haul that bacon!!

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed! But yikes, what a mess under there.

Most of that is from high speed impacts with the road surface, such that might occur when traversing a bridge’s expansion joints at >100 mph.

Although some of it was inflicted during some decidedly low-speed contact as well:

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And still other damage was due to neither high speed nor low speed impacts with the road, but due to medium speed impacts...while I was asleep in the passenger seat, I might add!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
From the damage in the photos and the sounds in the videos, front and rear end alignments are probably in order...

·
Super Moderator
15,557 Posts
that lower radiator support is a bolt -in part remove the front and main belly pans and four (long) bolts later - its out. That part can be had in a dismantling yard - probably interchanges among all four LX models over the years. Just look for a car that was a side impact or rear-end collision to find the good supports that weren't damaged in a collision.

it could be those stage 1s were for a Challenger application - the Charger is heavier yet due to the 4" longer wheelbase as well as the additional doors and all the hardware within them.

and the unknown amount of use on them before you had them.

I had spring sag on one of my GM cars - it had a transverse composite leaf spring for the rear suspension. One of the plastic ends of the spring where the seat in the knuckle disappear at some point, which I noticed on a oil change and routine inspection.

Put the new spring on and noticed the ride height did pick up. They were known to develop a sag with age - mine got to about 9 years and ~ 90K at that point in time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
And still other damage was due to neither high speed nor low speed impacts with the road, but due to medium speed impacts...while I was asleep in the passenger seat, I might add!

Lmao omg that's good stuff. I... have been there but not in my challenger.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the damage in the photos and the sounds in the videos, front and rear end alignments are probably in order...
I’m a reasonable guy...a very reasonable and practice guy, in fact. So it should come as no surprise to find out that a front and rear alignment is already on my list of things to get done on The Bacon Hauler.

But like that old saying goes, wheels of silver roll faster than...wheels...that aren’t made of silver?

IDK, my point is, nothing is free. Not my time, not the lug nuts I’ll have to replace, and certainly not the alignment work that will result in $20 worth of chewed up lug nuts.

In other words, if my car wants an alignment, it can have one (or two in this case), but it needs to give me something in return.

I’m thinking the site of 3 consecutive WOT datalogs devoid of KR would be enough to knock my wallet loose.

But for the front AND rear alignment services (plus another 3-4 ruined lug nuts @$5 each), I’ll need to see 5 consecutive datalogs with WOT operation and zero degrees of KR.

Difficult to achieve? Maybe, but goals are good for the soul...besides, I’m already owed quite a bit of favors in return for the new Firehawk Indy 500s I have in the corner just waiting to get put on.

We wouldn’t want anything untoward like uneven wear or something to happen to those brand new tires once they’re t on, now would we?!?

Reactions: moparnoother

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
987 Posts
Most of that is from high speed impacts with the road surface, such that might occur when traversing a bridge’s expansion joints at >100 mph.

Although some of it was inflicted during some decidedly low-speed contact as well:

I totally understand.... I’ve had my fair share of low speed “impacts.” Caught one of my mufflers on the road surface a couple years ago while still stationed in Germany. Was one of those areas where the surface drops suddenly and there we cobble stones at the transition point. It was extremely deceiving how much of a difference in elevation there was from my few point in the car. That was right after I had moved back to Germany for my third time.

Then several months ago after getting stationed back in NC, which is home at this point, I snagged the same side muffler again. This time on the dang barrier at the gates where I work. Not the same muffler, had to replace it after the last time. Zoomers thru Speedlogix, ridiculous price by the way.

After the first snag it was alright' just had to realign it and slip the muffler back in place. The second time it happened the whole thing separate from the pipe leading to the headers and bent and dented in the muffler. No getting that realigned, so I removed both mufflers and put some straight pipe there. Turns out it was a blessing. The car sounds awesome!

Still no where near the damaged the Bacon Hauler has experienced.

Reactions: Nuke and Gila Hemi

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I totally understand.... I’ve had my fair share of low speed “impacts.” Caught one of my mufflers on the road surface a couple years ago while still stationed in Germany. Was one of those areas where the surface drops suddenly and there we cobble stones at the transition point. It was extremely deceiving how much of a difference in elevation there was from my few point in the car. That was right after I had moved back to Germany for my third time.

Then several months ago after getting stationed back in NC, which is home at this point, I snagged the same side muffler again. This time on the dang barrier at the gates where I work. Not the same muffler, had to replace it after the last time. Zoomers thru Speedlogix, ridiculous price by the way.

After the first snag it was alright' just had to realign it and slip the muffler back in place. The second time it happened the whole thing separate from the pipe leading to the headers and bent and dented in the muffler. No getting that realigned, so I removed both mufflers and put some straight pipe there. Turns out it was a blessing. The car sounds awesome!

Still no where near the damaged the Bacon Hauler has experienced.

The only thing cobblestones are good for is to keep mud off of whatever is attempting to roll over them. More fun than driving a car over them is riding a bicycle over them. I suppose it's an easy way to lose weight...

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
987 Posts
The only thing cobblestones are good for is to keep mud off of whatever is attempting to roll over them. More fun than driving a car over them is riding a bicycle over them. I suppose it's an easy way to lose weight...
So true.... running on them when it’s icy is the best! Well.... Especially when the your Company Commander doesn’t care about that and says we’re going to do that 5 mile run anyhow.

Reactions: Gila Hemi
1 - 15 of 15 Posts