Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question,

Rather than just slapping coil-overs on to the car and dropping it down 2", what other supporting mods are recommended for proper suspension? I bought some coil-overs for my 14' RT and am going to be replacing a lot on it. Want to make sure its done proper.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Question,

Rather than just slapping coil-overs on to the car and dropping it down 2", what other supporting mods are recommended for proper suspension? I bought some coil-overs for my 14' RT and am going to be replacing a lot on it. Want to make sure its done proper.
depends on what your trying to achieve, and how the car will be used
Luke

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
the end use is the most important factor
Luke

ps we spent easily 5k before I stepped up and did Ultimate Performance, knowing what I know now, I would not have wasted my time on the off the shelf stuff>:)

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
You will most likely want adjustable upper control arms and adjustable sway bar end links

The rest would depend on what you want to do with the car

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,821 Posts
Dropping 2" will generally require additional parts to align correctly. I am assuming those parts, and/or supporting parts can also be handling upgrade parts as well?

A Guy

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for such a vague question up front. Allow me to explain!

My challenger is already a blacktop edition, and is sitting already a bit lower than most from the factory. I was looking to do a 1.5" drop, give or take some, and the vehicle is used as a daily driver a few days each month. Other than that, I drive it to and from autocross events to compete when I have the time. I have 275's around on all 4 corners already, but plan on switching to a demon replica rim and running 315's (or 305's if they don't fit) on the rear.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You'll definitely want adjustable upper arms both front and rear so you can put in the proper amount of camber. Depending how much you drive on the street vs how many autocrosses you attend you'll either want as much camber as you can get or to get it back in factory spec after you lower it. Other than that I would recommend front and rear strut/shock tower braces and subframe connectors if you don't have them to stiffen up the ride and control body roll. Lots more you can do from there depending how much you want to get into and how seriously you're running it. Curious what coilovers you went with?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll definitely want adjustable upper arms both front and rear so you can put in the proper amount of camber. Depending how much you drive on the street vs how many autocrosses you attend you'll either want as much camber as you can get or to get it back in factory spec after you lower it. Other than that I would recommend front and rear strut/shock tower braces and subframe connectors if you don't have them to stiffen up the ride and control body roll. Lots more you can do from there depending how much you want to get into and how seriously you're running it. Curious what coilovers you went with?

I have BC coilovers, IIRC. I am currently deployed and can't remember what I've ordered since I've been here. I also have ordered from speedlogix the front and rear strut bracing and the subframe connectors (weld in). I also went with the Powerstop kit KC2853A-26 (rotors, brakes, and calipers) to get me a bit more stopping power over OEM plus a few other goodies.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have BC coilovers, IIRC. I am currently deployed and can't remember what I've ordered since I've been here. I also have ordered from speedlogix the front and rear strut bracing and the subframe connectors (weld in). I also went with the Powerstop kit KC2853A-26 (rotors, brakes, and calipers) to get me a bit more stopping power over OEM plus a few other goodies.
My buddy is running the BCs and he likes them. A good brake pad will go a long way to increasing that stopping power too. For autocross I recommend the Carbotech ones. They're dusty however and depending which one you go with can be noisy so they're not for everyone but damn do they stop.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll keep an eye out for replacement pads that will work on that new caliper. Hopefully its a size/fitment where I have multiple options.

I understand I should be looking at adjustable upper control arms for both the front and rear. Is there any other mods that are recommended? Also, any previous experience with brands/styles for those control arms?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'll keep an eye out for replacement pads that will work on that new caliper. Hopefully its a size/fitment where I have multiple options.

I understand I should be looking at adjustable upper control arms for both the front and rear. Is there any other mods that are recommended? Also, any previous experience with brands/styles for those control arms?
I went with Razors Edge in the rear. Whatever you go with in the rear make sure it's got the bend in them like the factory ones do. If not it will contact the body when your lowered. I think SPC was one brand that just had straight rear arms.

I went with SPC in the front. Mainly because I had already dropped enough money over the winter I didn't want to drop the extra for the Razors edge.

I'm happy with both. The rear I set it and haven't touched it since. It's super easy to set with the tabs. Only downside is if you're looking for a specific camber # it's hard to get because adjustment tabs are only in 0.5° increments. Some people have reported issues with the SPCs not staying set and the ball joint slipping, especially if they've adjusted it a time or two. I've not had that problem at all and I've made multiple adjustments to mine since I installed them. I just crank em down hard. Downside to those is they're hard to access and tighten the adjustment on the camber if the car is lowered. I do mine with the wheel off and it up in the air.

As far as other mods, how far are you willing/wanting to go? Nothing else is needed for your setup and to notice the improved handling. But if you want more then you start looking into replacing bushings too. One thing that is relatively easy to change while your doing control arms is the rear tension arms. I went with BMR suspension arms there.

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
I would still recommend adjustable sway bar end links if you are lowering 1.5-2”

I would also recommend adjustable sway bars as a performance upgrade but the links will let you keep the geometry correct regardless of which bars you are running.

I did razors edge for my adjustable upper control arms front and rear. And rear trailing arms. And their bump steer kit, which is adjustable tie rod ends, which is also not a bad idea. Swapping those parts will require an alignment.

I thought the weld in subframe connectors helped a bunch stiffening the car up, if you really wanna go for it then replace all the rubber bushings with poly and throw a harness bar in too.

It can get expensive depending on how far you wanna go, and the car will get less comfortable for road trips if that is a concern for you... it doesn’t bother me any but if I’m taking the wife somewhere I take a different vehicle.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Good call on the sway bars and end links Shaker. I forgot about those, but yea definitely good to do.

To the OP, you said you run autocross, don't know what class you currently run in or if it matters to you but something to keep in mind is make sure anything you want to change is allowed in that class if you care. If you're running CAM then it pretty much doesn't matter. But I know switching over to ESP I can't run bumpsteer correction. And the strut braces can only be 2 point. I'm pretty sure STP is the same.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Speedlogix Front & Rear Sway Bar End Link Package 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum

Speedlogix Adjustable Billet Front Control Arms 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum

Speedlogix Adjustable Billet Rear Control Arms 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum

Speedlogix Billet Rear Tension Arms 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum

So, I'm following the recommended above. As for a sway bar, since the I remember blacktop edition came with the SRT swaybars, is there a need to upgrade beyond that? If so, which seems to have worked well with your guys setups?

Good call on the sway bars and end links Shaker. I forgot about those, but yea definitely good to do.

To the OP, you said you run autocross, don't know what class you currently run in or if it matters to you but something to keep in mind is make sure anything you want to change is allowed in that class if you care. If you're running CAM then it pretty much doesn't matter. But I know switching over to ESP I can't run bumpsteer correction. And the strut braces can only be 2 point. I'm pretty sure STP is the same.

I really appreciate the feedback from you guys. I don't mind spending money I need to, however, best bang for the buck and being realistic on what I'm buying is always key. Which class I run is irrelevant, and to be honest, I do it because it's fun, not to always win. I am not a guru when it comes to suspension though... and I will be installing this myself, so any feedback helps.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Speedlogix Front & Rear Sway Bar End Link Package 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum

Speedlogix Adjustable Billet Front Control Arms 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum

Speedlogix Adjustable Billet Rear Control Arms 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum

So, I'm following the recommended above. As for a sway bar, since the I remember blacktop edition came with the SRT swaybars, is there a need to upgrade beyond that? If so, which seems to have worked well with your guys setups?

I really appreciate the feedback from you guys. I don't mind spending money I need to, however, best bang for the buck and being realistic on what I'm buying is always key. Which class I run is irrelevant, and to be honest, I do it because it's fun, not to always win. I am not a guru when it comes to suspension though... and I will be installing this myself, so any feedback helps.
No problem. I'm not a suspension guru by any means either. Kinda learning as I go, from the great people here and from the great people in my region. If you're doing the work yourself here's a link to my suspension build I did over the winter. It might help some with the pictures:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617737

I'm not sure what size the SRT bar is off the top of my head but only reason to go to another bar would be adjustability. I went with a Petty's. I originally had their front and rear but the rear didn't fit with my coilovers so I went back stock in the rear.

·
Registered
213 Posts

I'd make sure you do your due diligence and research all of those... not saying they are bad but there have been 'issues' reported

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do you recall what the issues were?

Yes but they are a supporting vendor. You can find experiences online.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts