Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys...Looking for everyone's thoughts on what type of Cold Air Intake would work best / look great in my new 2011 SRT8 392. I came across this web site but wanted to get some input before making a decision. Does anyone have any of these installed?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Not sure any of these CAI are availiable yet for the 392. For that matter any aftermarket parts yet. I will add one to my 392 for sure when availiable and after reading the link you posted I like what the author has to say about his choice and his results.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I'm not sure you need one. If you look at the stock intake, it is fully enclosed and ported down, outside the engine compartment, which should already be "cold air". Maybe a new CAI that has better airflow, but I'm guessing the benefits will be pretty limited (other than maybe for appearance purposes).

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Maybe not but until someone releases one and testing is done like anything else I will be on the bench.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not sure any of these CAI are availiable yet for the 392. For that matter any aftermarket parts yet. I will add one to my 392 for sure when availiable and after reading the link you posted I like what the author has to say about his choice and his results.
Not trying to hijack this thread but... Rangerman, what the heck is going on with your Chally order? You must be going out of your mind.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Mopar's 392 CAI is still still at least 45 to 75 days out. They gave me an ETA of 60-90 days at the begining of March.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but... Rangerman, what the heck is going on with your Chally order? You must be going out of your mind.
I wish I knew...giving flashbacks to my 09 order...12 days left I am still holding out hope it will arrive when I am home. I talked with Bob this evening and he is doing what he can to get it out of there. Will see. Went for the Appearance package and stripes now back to storage and slipped another day for shipping. Also when it gets to bob he has adding some "extras" which will mean at least a day at his garage.

Also for the CAI since this is the topic of discussion I will wait to see what they put out there for the cars and the results regradless of what is on the car now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered my 2011 SRT8 392 on December 23rd, 2010....they tell me I will take possession March 28th too. It's taking the scenic route to Texas!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I ordered my 2011 SRT8 392 on December 23rd, 2010....they tell me I will take possession March 28th too. It's taking the scenic route to Texas!
Nice same date to dealer! Different directions though! Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't believe it! I called the dealership yesterday for an update. I was told that while the factory built and released my vehicle March 10th, it has not left Ontario! They say there is a driver's strike and that none of the vehicles have left. Ranger man, you might want to check your's!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
From everything I have read, heard and seen prior to this absolutely stunning website might I add, the stock air filter on the 392 is a damn good one. If someone shows me some before the CAI and after the CAI results, resulting in hp gains with the CAI then I will get one but I won't be the first to experiment.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am on the fence as well... Need to see numbers.... If it's a wash on final numbers I might consider just for the better looks. Then again I could always paint a filter on the cover. LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts
Most cai's are not going to yield you very much on modern performance engines. But you really can't DO without them if your wanting to shine under the hood (car shows). That being said, I typically steer clear of metals, as plastics tend to conduct heat less, and sealed is always a good idea.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Ill be keeping my stock REAL cold air intake with just a drop in K&N. I dont really care about the bling factor under my hood. I just want perfornamce results and the stock intake works just fine.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ill be keeping my stock REAL cold air intake with just a drop in K&N. I dont really care about the bling factor under my hood. I just want perfornamce results and the stock intake works just fine.

I am in complete agreement from another thread that the stock intake system looks really decent and well engineered. Like you though I would like to drop a less restrictive filter in. I wonder when K&N will release an element for the 392?

·
Registered
531 Posts
My dealer talked me out of buying one from them saying I didn't need it. The stock 392 intake is already a CAI for all concerns. KN filter seems to be the only thing to add, unless you just want the cool look of the MOPAR CAI or similar. I have heard they Will likely just add noise. Similar with Cat backs. You can get more sound, but with the stock 2.75 inch flow you aren't going to gain much performance by going aftermarket exhaust...I'm still getting Zoomers though...heh..heh...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have had added a CAI to most cars that I recently owned. Some for looks, some for performance whether it was for MPG or extra HP. I actually have a CAI from my last 6.1 left over that could easily be modified to work with the 392. All it would take would be to shorten the intake tube, and everything else is a bolt on. I started to remove everything when I started looking at what was there stock. It has a huge airbox, totally sealed from the engine heat and nearly force fed cool outside air from the lower air dam. The intake is larger than the throttle body and very short. There really is not much to improve on, except for the filter itself.
Most vehicles don't make more power because the new CAI is so good, it is because the stock one is so bad. In most cases, the manufactuors are not trying to make the most power when they design the intakes. Some intakes are small or misshapen due to space limitations. Some are even baffled and restricted to meet noise limitations. Remember, most people just drive and commute and only want a quiet ride. They are trying to make a million people happy, not the few that sleep better knowing they got a extra 2 hp from a mod. LOL.
After checking it out, I plan to do a drop in K&N filter and use the stock intake. This one was obviously designed for performance, and until I see some dyno numbers that tell me I am wrong, I just don't see a aftermarket intake outperforming the 392 intake design. To make more power, it would have to bring in cooler air or flow more, or have more surface area on the filter to pull from. If you look at most current designs, the filter is not larger... most are actually worse at finding cool air to bring in....and with a 6 inch long intake tube, how much more could it possibly flow?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts