Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at flow master and k&n but I just don't know if it is worth getting it on my GT. Makes under the hood look nicer but does it add any sound or power or is it just a waste of money?

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I've had Mopar kits on R/T's I've had and on my SXT. My two cents, they're a complete waste of money. My suggestion, get a Pedal Commander. It really made a difference in throttle resonse on my 3.6. I have one on my Ram 5.7 also.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Monitor air intake temperature. (Data log intake air temperature by some means.)

The factory system is already a cold air intake is what I think you'll discover. Well, cold air after any heat soak is removed, but you have this with any intake system that resides in front of, upstream of, the MAF.

Both my current cars, a Mini JCW (with a turbo-charged engine), and a Hellcat (of course with a supercharger), produce intake air temperatures that are elevated because that's what a pressurized intake system does. Same was true for my Porsche 996 Turbo with its two turbos.

All 3 engines use intercoolers which lower the intake air temperature considerably, but it is still quite warm compared to ambient. IIRC with my Hellcat the intake air temperature is 40F or maybe 50F above ambient.

My Boxster was a N/A engine and intake air temperature ran around 15F or so over ambient once the car was underway. Worst case was in 116F ambient temperature the intake air temperature was 135F or nearly 20F over ambient. In less severe temperature conditions the difference drops and under ideal conditions -- colder -- the difference gets to down to just 11F or 10F.

Even if a CAI improved on this all that is to be gained would be a few degrees -- worst case in my experience is about 20F over (116F) ambient -- and I doubt a drop of even 20F degrees is going to make any real difference.

Any changes to the sound of the engine, or the appearance of the engine bay, are subjective.

Last but not least, there is a concern, at least I have it, by fitting a CAI about the risk of compromising the effectiveness of the engine air filtration system, possibly allowing more/larger particles of dirt into the engine. I can tell you on my road trips I have encountered some pretty dusty conditions and I'm thankful for good engine air filtering.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
This a a bigger waste than maintaining IATs, and doesn't even offer the benefit of good looks. For free...push your foot down faster.
I guess you don't know how the Pedal Commander works. You can push your foot down as fast as you want but you will still have that lag before the throttle responds. Pedal Commander gets you that throttle response instantly. So as one who has had both CAI's and the Pedal Commander, I can say the Pedal Commander actually improved the fun factor of the vehicle. The CAI did nothing.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If you really like the look and the money is burning a hole in your pocket then go for it, besides that maybe some sound, extra ponies???

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I guess you don't know how the Pedal Commander works. You can push your foot down as fast as you want but you will still have that lag before the throttle responds. Pedal Commander gets you that throttle response instantly.
You aren't outrunning the 0-5v signal that the 300 dollar box lies about. I know exactly what they (PC, Sprintbooster, etc) do and how they do it. The "lag" you perceive is the linear voltage curve.

You don't have to justify that you like it, or that improves your experience, but don't be disingenuous.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
You aren't outrunning the 0-5v signal that the 300 dollar box lies about. I know exactly what they (PC, Sprintbooster, etc) do and how they do it. The "lag" you perceive is the linear voltage curve.You don't have to justify that you like it, or that improves your experience, but don't be disingenuous.
I'm not justifying it. I don't know about the technical aspects of it nor do I care. All I care about is the noticeable improvement in drive-ability. You stated that all one has to do is apply more pedal on a car without PC for the same affect and that simply is not true. The PC overcomes the built in lag time from throttle application to actual acceleration, the lag that was designed into the system to appease low performance drivers so they were not surprised at instant acceleration and to possibly add a tiny bit of mileage. So I'd much rather have a $300 box that actually does something then a $400 piece of bling that defeats the already excellent stock intake. And that's all I was saying.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,932 Posts
If the looks of the CAI, and the sound change are what you expect, then it's just a matter of it is worth it for you? If you expect a great HP increase, then I don't think it's worth it.

The majority of posts I have seen from Sprint Booster/Pedal Commander owners are positive. In that whatever effect it has, they like it. I don't see any of them claiming any actual performance increases. Just that they like it.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
If the looks of the CAI, and the sound change are what you expect, then it's just a matter of it is worth it for you? If you expect a great HP increase, then I don't think it's worth it.
The majority of posts I have seen from Sprint Booster/Pedal Commander owners are positive. In that whatever effect it has, they like it. I don't see any of them claiming any actual performance increases. Just that they like it. A Guy
I showed a 1/10th faster 0-60, unscientific so who knows. I didn't buy if for that though. I just wanted to not have to stomp on the gas three seconds before I actually wanted to pass someone on the highway anymore. Plus around town driving is much more responsive.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think they make the throttle response feel a little quicker.I do like how they look under the hood and believe it or not they actually affect the exhaust sound a little bit.

·
Registered
2015 SCAT pack
15 Posts
I have an R2C CAI and I punched out the center of the inboard light. It looks great and the filter is huge and flows a lot of air but temps. are about the same. If anything throttle response may be a little quicker if anything. Just something to add, like the front and rear strut braces I added.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put an AFE Momentum GT CAI on it. Changed the sound a bit but looks really nice, especially since the car is a GT and the CAI has GT front and center on it ?

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
495 Posts
I think a CAI is a very cool appearance mod. I had the Mopar version on my ‘11 R/T.

The stock system is better sealed against pulling hot air from the engine compartment than a CAI that uses some weather stripping to seal against the hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts