Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT RWD (White Knuckle)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

If I installed a Cold Air Intake and if I do the headlight air intake thing too... do I close off the air intake by the wheel well?

I am also looking for some screens to keep debris from coming in thru the headlight intake too.

Is there any way to combat that issue with CAI?

I am worried about going thru a big old puddle and having an issue.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Jeffry, Welcome to the forum!

My thought is to leave your current CAI with the edition of the headlight intake. You don't have to worry about "closing off" the lower bottom portion as that is a good source of cold air. Also, you really don't need to worry about debris (mostly bugs) but keep an eye on your air filter and clean it regularly.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
Also, you really don't need to worry about debris (mostly bugs) but keep an eye on your air filter and clean it regularly.
well there is plenty of pics and details online, here and on other forums that speak to the contray. Everything from birds building nest, to rags and cheeseburger wrappers have been discovered inside headlight holes. Yes, bug are also an issue. My DIPS screens have caught a good number of the larger ones.

Reactions: Jeffry O

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Hey guys,

If I installed a Cold Air Intake and if I do the headlight air intake thing too... do I close off the air intake by the wheel well?

I am also looking for some screens to keep debris from coming in thru the headlight intake too.

Is there any way to combat that issue with CAI?

I am worried about going thru a big old puddle and having an issue.

Thanks!
Believe any small hole in bottom of the air box is not there as some auxiliary air intake but serves as a water drain.

As for debris coming through the air intake hole in 33 months and 27.5K miles I never had any issues with that with my Hellcat. I mean if you use your car for a wild ass drive across the outback as depicted in the various Mad Max movies then a screen of some kind could be called for. But on regular roads...

Water ingress into the intake is possible even with the stock intake system. If standing water is to be driven through progress must be as slow as possible to avoid -- if the water is deep enough -- building up a wall of water that can rise up and be ingested by the engine.

You also have to be aware that an oncoming vehicle can produce a "bow wave" that can result in a wall of water that you drive into which can flood the engine.

My SOP is to avoid going through water that is across the road. One never knows how deep the water is or if there is a washed out area under the water. While the water may only be inches deep there can be wash out of part or all of the road and inches deep water can turn into feet deep water.

The exception I'll make is for example what I did yesterday when I was out in a severe T-storm with lots of heavy rain and localized "flooding". I was on major city streets and encountered water over some or all of the road. But I had other vehicles in front of me that I could see managed to get through the water without encountering any washed out sections and that the water depth with just a few inches. So I proceeded through the water at a much reduced speed and made it through a number of these "crossings" without any drama.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,522 Posts
Don't close off anything, and you don't need screens. I'm running a complete Hellcat air box assembly. The lid required a little modifying.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Plant

·
Registered
2020 GT RWD (White Knuckle)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You also have to be aware that an oncoming vehicle can produce a "bow wave" that can result in a wall of water that you drive into which can flood the engine.

My SOP is to avoid going through water that is across the road. One never knows how deep the water is or if there is a washed out area under the water. While the water may only be inches deep there can be wash out of part or all of the road and inches deep water can turn into feet deep water.
I live in Arizona, and 99% of the time the roads are dry as a bone.
Its that 1% that will get ya.
I will just have to be a bit more careful.
Thanks for the great info!

A Guy
Thanks for the hookup!

Don't close off anything, and you don't need screens. I'm running a complete Hellcat air box assembly. The lid required a little modifying.
Thanks... but I will never understand why they would put an air intake in the wheel well of the car.

So what CAI system are you looking at?
I already put in a Spectre... mostly because I am not rich.

Jeffry, Welcome to the forum!
Thanks Bill!

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
605 Posts
Look at the water-repellent Outerwears pre-filters. Same source as many aftermarket filter brands who also offer pre-filters/wraps/covers/whatever (just with the brand's logo instead). I get a new one every year for my LMI fender-pull CAI.

Reactions: Jeffry O

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
I live in Arizona, and 99% of the time the roads are dry as a bone.
Its that 1% that will get ya.
I will just have to be a bit more careful.
Thanks for the great info!

Thanks for the hookup!

Thanks... but I will never understand why they would put an air intake in the wheel well of the car.

I already put in a Spectre... mostly because I am not rich.

Thanks Bill!
Any auxiliary hole in the air filter air box is likely designed to be subjected to low pressure with the car moving. This is to help drain any water that might come through the air intake hole in this case in the light housing.

Other cars I have owned have had a small hole located on the bottom of the air filter air box for such a purpose. The hole is small so it allows very little air into the air box. But of course serves to let any water that gets in the air box drain out rather than just build up and at some point soak the air filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts