Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a cold air intake on my 3.6l challenger and noticed that at high rpm 6k or more there is a loud about 3 second rattle noise then it stops. I checked everything and there is no metal on metal touching or loose connections. I dont kw if this is engine noise coming though the intake or what but it only does it if u floor the car and the rpm gets above 6k anyone else every had this issue or know what could cause it. It real takes away from the nice woosh sound

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I've never run my 3.6 at 6000 RPM, so I have no experience in that.

Question. Did the you ever have the engine at 6000 RPM before the cold air intake was installed?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure the car only has 14k on it and im not sure if the factory air box just muffled it or what but i dont how u never run ur car that high if u floor the car it red lines at 7k b4 it shifts. Thats just factory set up on the car

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,749 Posts
My car shifts at 6200RPM, but is only above 6k for a brief time I believe (not a great video :) )

A Guy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems about right. Someone told me its the noise from the variable valve timing amplified through the aluminum tubing im hearing but not sure.i kw for sure its not coming from anything loose or touching on the intake itself. Just never heard it until i installed the intake. I was thinking i would just hear alot of woosh sound but i dont hear any until i cut off the car then the intake a shhh noise but not while driving it just sounds normal unless i get into u then when it revs hard right b4 it shifts it makes a funny mechanical vibration sound kind of like a like a lifter ticking noise but much faster and louder. It only lasts about 3 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,749 Posts
Hmmm, I don't think VVT is something you'd hear. As a test you might wrap the tubing with towels (make sure they won't accidentally come off), see if you get a change. A recording of the noise if possible, but I've read a lot of posts here and not heard your complaint

A Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts