Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just recently bought a brand new 2019 rt plus and I'm thinking about install CAI, but I don't know which brand is recommended. I heard people mention alot about K&N and Legmaker, and Hellcat lower intake with headlight tube. Please tell me about your experiences. I appreciate y'all!!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
NO to k&n. and any other oil based filter design. flow better? maybe.
intake misting via oil particulates from filter is a known problem long term however, vapors can "pile" and affect sensors.
Legmaker seems to be a very good cone style intake. I do believe they use a 'wet' filter though. grrr. They also draw hot underhood air, as filte ris not closed off from underhood heat draw, so technically, they are not a true cold air intake. perhaps on the street they dont perform as good as they do on a car running 10-12 seconds at a time. I think the main appeal is certainly more TB / SC sound and CF materials.
The best bang for the $$ however, (under $150 all in) is the SRT designed, oem hellcat lower box and tube, for the price, you will not find a better flowing, closed (actually cold air) intake. there are 2 headlight tube lengths, so be sure to research which one you need. I believe it was dependant on car year. Gain on any of them is sub 7-8hp.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
138 Posts
Agree with hemi4us best bang for your buck is the hellcat lower air box with headlight intake tube mod. Look up Steve White Motors and have them hook you up with the correct parts for your vehicle.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
On my '15, I have the hellcat lower box with air catcher tube (different from the '19) with an AEM dry drop in filter. Very happy with it. There is also this from @stevewhite which will mount on the top of your air box or the HellCat one just the same, promo code: CHA1
If you need a fancy one @Speedlogix is another one of our vendors. see if they have any promotions, just stay away from filters that require oiling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks y'all!! Also, do you notice any change in the sound of the car with Hellcat lower intake? I honestly contacted Steve White through his ebay account to confirm and He replied that It does not fit to my 2019 rt plus...

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Thanks y'all!! Also, do you notice any change in the sound of the car with Hellcat lower intake? I honestly contacted Steve White through his ebay account to confirm and He replied that It does not fit to my 2019 rt plus...
The '19 up uses a different air catcher tube, (From the filter box to the back pf the parking light). You should also have a cap on the back of the parking light that requires a T-10??? Torx to remove but then all should be good.

There is no change in sound using the Hellcat air box as it is closed. If you are looking for sound you want something with an open cone type filter and no resonator on the tube connecting it to the throttle body.
If you want noise, try this:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly want it for the performance, but also I don't want the car get over heat since I'm living in Texas.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I honestly want it for the performance, but also I don't want the car get over heat since I'm living in Texas.
There honestly is no performance gain from a CAI. Nothing you would notice anyway. That's why I went with OEM parts (Except the filter), reminds me of the old factory drag cars that would remove the headlights and run dryer flex to the snorkels on the air cleaners. Cooler intake temps can't hurt but it's not like you are cramming more air into the motor increase it's V.E. (Volumetric Efficiency).

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Oh and the filter change to the AEM is not for performance, as I posted in other threads, it is washable, non oiled and reusable. It saves me from going to Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Advance Auto, O'Riley's, etc. and asking for and air filter for a 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T and being asked, by some moron if it is Automatic or Standard Shift.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks y'all again for all the info!! I probably will get the hellcat lower intake with the headlight tube since I'm dropping the car weight of the car with carbon fiber hood, roof, decklid and doors. I don't need much hp from the CAI, but I mainly focus on cooling down the engine due to hot weather in Texas. What filter would ya'll recommend?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
use this air catcher tube, it is listed for the 2019 6.2l

In fact I hope @stevewhite comes along and verifies the part numbers and posts his promo code.
But Luke thinks he is a YouTube superstar these days... he doesn't call, he doesn't write, he doesn't send flowers..... ROFLMAO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi. I just recently bought a brand new 2019 rt plus and I'm thinking about install CAI, but I don't know which brand is recommended. I heard people mention alot about K&N and Legmaker, and Hellcat lower intake with headlight tube. Please tell me about your experiences. I appreciate y'all!!
MOPAR literally makes a CAI specifically for the 5.7 so go check it out. Also DONT go K&N idk why people like it at all.

·
Vendor
12,215 Posts

·
Vendor
12,215 Posts
so if you want top use you top air box lid and modify to the Hellcat lower box,

2015 to 2017 ish without illuminated inboard lamp

2017 and up with illuminated center

you can also add the following top same lower box

·
Vendor