Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about AEM Brute Force Air Intake or the Airaid Intake System for a 2014 Challenger r/t. Do these cause any problems that you'd need a tuner to fix?
The AEM looks like a CAI that goes in the fender and the Airaid looks like the short ram??

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Does anyone know anything about AEM Brute Force Air Intake or the Airaid Intake System for a 2014 Challenger r/t. Do these cause any problems that you'd need a tuner to fix?
The AEM looks like a CAI that goes in the fender and the Airaid looks like the short ram??
First of all, welcome to DT.
I would take some time and read the many posts here on the subject. You will find a lot of different answers, but the bottom line is the stock air box is better than 95% of the aftermarket units because they will suck in hot air from under the hood causing a loss in power. So I would save your money an go with a tuner instead. I have hard time paying 300 to 400 bucks to loose power, or maybe gain a couple of hp if I am lucky.

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
I added a CAI and switched back to the stock box. I added gauges to monitor both air temp and inlet air temp.
At highway speed, both were about 1 to 2 deg above the temp of the air.
With a 80 deg day, at a light I saw the "CAI" climb to 160 deg, yep it got very hot. The stock box under the same conditions only got to about 130.
The CAI cooled down a little faster when you are moving but the stock box does a better job of slowing the temp swing and did not get as high.
The CAI flowed more air (just over 1K cfm) but if you are running a stock engine are you really going to need to flow more than the 777cfm that the stock setup flows?

At highway speed, you are not going to need every bit of power you can get while at stop to accel. you ARE going to need the power, colder air is more power all things equal, the stock box does a better job of keeping the temp down when stopped.

Yep, been there and went back to stock though a blower will be installed in a few months rendering the whole thing (for me) a moot point.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I added a CAI and switched back to the stock box. I added gauges to monitor both air temp and inlet air temp.
At highway speed, both were about 1 to 2 deg above the temp of the air.
With a 80 deg day, at a light I saw the "CAI" climb to 160 deg, yep it got very hot. The stock box under the same conditions only got to about 130.
The CAI cooled down a little faster when you are moving but the stock box does a better job of slowing the temp swing and did not get as high.
The CAI flowed more air (just over 1K cfm) but if you are running a stock engine are you really going to need to flow more than the 777cfm that the stock setup flows?

At highway speed, you are not going to need every bit of power you can get while at stop to accel. you ARE going to need the power, colder air is more power all things equal, the stock box does a better job of keeping the temp down when stopped.

Yep, been there and went back to stock though a blower will be installed in a few months rendering the whole thing (for me) a moot point.

This is great information. Thank you for taking the time to post it. :smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts