Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2010 R/T for about 3 months now with 2300 miles. I took my car in to the dealership for a free oil change (got a second free one because they didn't remove th old oil filters seal and let's just say it was a mess when I discovered it).

However, while at the dealership I was talking possible modifications and costs with a parts and service guy. I am convinced to start off with a Mopar Cold Air Intake.

I know how to remove the old one and install the new one already.

I'm really just curious about the pros and cons of Cold Air Intakes and also any suggestions on different brands and possibly the next mod after the intake.

Thanks

2010 Hemi-Orange R/T 6 speed:thumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just had the Stack Performance Bullet Cold Air Intake installed, highly recommend it. Definitley notice a deeper sound on acceleration, quicker throttle response and headed up there I was getting 21.5 mpg and on the way home, 23.4. SRT 8, not bad mpg. Looks very clean under the hood as well. Highly recommend Stack for any other mods or upgrades.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I have the MOPAR one. I think it looks better than the rest with me car and engine. I don't know of ant cons other than cost. I would suggest getting a predator and giveing it a tune. To me that helped the cars performance more than the CAI.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got Arrington's Carbon Fiber CAI. It looks great under the hood and it sounds awesome.

Attachments

·
Banned
903 Posts
I just got my LMI 4" fender pull true cold air intake yesterday and hope to install it this weekend. I haven't ran it yet but it looks bad arse!!! I have heard nothing but good on these. I had a Mopar CAI and never installed it because I didn't want the open filter right under the hood to pull in all the hot air, I think the LMI will take care of that issue.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went for the MOPAR Long Ram fender mounted CAI. I also wanted to get the filter away from the top of the engine and down where it can truly draw in cold air. I will admit that I opted to get it installed by the dealer rather than tackle it myself. Two reasons...a bad back, and it looks like it was probably a PITA! Well worth the $75 to me for the install. Tremendous response with a Predator CAI93OCT tune! Only con will be changing/cleaning the filter. Have to remove the wheel and wheel well liner to get to the filter. Will be letting the Dodge boys do that one too during routine maintenance :)

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
The issue has been discussed many times. Buy what looks good on your car. A CAI will only give you about a 5 hp. increase- not a good bang for yourperformance buck since they cost $300+. The main reason for getting one is looks and intake sound. I have the MOPAR unit because it compliments my Billet under-the-hood pieces and, perhaps, less hassles by the dealer.

Your next performance mod should be a tune using a Diablo Predator.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,121 Posts
I've read tons of CAI threads.
I'm getting the Mopar Long Ram to pull me some real cold air from the fender and look Mopar cool too:smokin:

·
Registered
896 Posts
AFE.

Maryland Speed has the best deals around for these intakes. Excellent fit and finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The issue has been discussed many times. Buy what looks good on your car. A CAI will only give you about a 5 hp. increase- not a good bang for yourperformance buck since they cost $300+. The main reason for getting one is looks and intake sound. I have the MOPAR unit because it compliments my Billet under-the-hood pieces and, perhaps, less hassles by the dealer.

Your next performance mod should be a tune using a Diablo Predator.
Do I absolutly have get my R/T tuned after I install the CAI. I figured it's a must for a cat-back exhaust but not for a CAI.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
You don't have to put a tune on the car when you put a CAI on. I didn't tune mine until a few weeks later and had no problems. The car ran ALOT better after I did tune it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Save a ton of bucks - drop this oiled gauze air filter in and forget about it for a year...got mine for $9.00 using discount coupon..

Purolator PureONEAir Filter

Part No PA35560

And use this website for coupon codes http://dealspl.us/advanceautoparts-coupons (for any online place) to knock off more on the deal when you purchase other auto items... nice to use the BIG35 coupon (-$35) when spending more than $85.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You don't have to put a tune on the car when you put a CAI on. I didn't tune mine until a few weeks later and had no problems. The car ran ALOT better after I did tune it.
Thanks for the info. I just had another couple questions before I make the upgrade this week.

As I see you have the 93 Octane Tune, do you always fill your tank with with 93 grade from now on? Or is okay to once in a while go back to the original 89 like my R/T uses?

Also did you buy the tuner yourself or did you have the dealership/mechanic do it for you? Just trying to see if a dealer has the tuner to save from buying it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That PureOne drop-in filter does have a nice price. I wonder what the difference is between this and a k&n drop-in as the k&n is about 50 bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just had another couple questions before I make the upgrade this week.

As I see you have the 93 Octane Tune, do you always fill your tank with with 93 grade from now on? Or is okay to once in a while go back to the original 89 like my R/T uses?

Also did you buy the tuner yourself or did you have the dealership/mechanic do it for you? Just trying to see if a dealer has the tuner to save from buying it.
I always use 93 octane gas in mine. In fact that's why I waited to put the tune in was I was makeing sure I had ran enough gas thru that all the 89 was gone. I was a little concerned about when I go to CF2 not being able to get 93 in some places on the way and Flat top suggested getting some octain booster so that if I stop and get gas and they don't have 93 I can just add it. That's the plan.
I bought my tunner thru Maryland speed and it is real easy to use. If you can use your computer you should have no problem with the Predator. IF YOU HAVE AN 11 DO NOT BUY ONE YET.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts