Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:
Since the consensus seems to be that a CAI really doesn't do much of anything other than sound and looks why then does the factory put them on the 2017 TA and other models, just wondering?:dunno:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
When I was younger I thought CAI were a must have...but I quickly learned they don't help much on a bone stock vehicle (maybe cooler IAT and a little better flow). I also never understood why they cost several hundred dollars when some are made from bent aluminum tubing when closed air filter systems are more costly to build (injection molded die required and usually need a custom sized air filter). Some say they can hear a difference in engine noise making the car sound more aggressive. These days CAI is not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I did the Scat Pack 1 PCM on my 2015 R/T and pieced together a CAI made from a Hellcat lower box, air catcher tube a K&N drop in filter and a air intake tube from a charger (No silencer) each change made a small difference over all but that might be due to the tune on the PCM.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Question:
Since the consensus seems to be that a CAI really doesn't do much of anything other than sound and looks why then does the factory put them on the 2017 TA and other models, just wondering?:dunno:
Those models have hood scoops and use the CAIs that allow ducting to feed into the airbox. They typically use a cone filter vs. the panel filter.

The stock air boxes otherwise feed from the inner fender apron and have panel filters with a top lid. The Hellcat airbox utilizes the duct that feeds from the Air Catcher headlight port.

On the '15+ there's a duct from the lower grille that feeds into that apron.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Question:
The factory does it for sound and looks. Notice, the HP on the Scat Pack, Scat Pack Shaker, T/A 392 and SRT are all the same, so are their 1/4 times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I always wondered since the factory began using them in stock installations.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I always wondered since the factory began using them in stock installations.

Same with 20" wheels, the only reason these cars, and many other cars, have 19" and 20" wheels is because consumers expect them. It's not because they make the car preform better.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Question:
Since the consensus seems to be that a CAI really doesn't do much of anything other than sound and looks why then does the factory put them on the 2017 TA and other models, just wondering?
Those models have hood scoops and use the CAIs that allow ducting to feed into the airbox. They typically use a cone filter vs. the panel filter.

The stock air boxes otherwise feed from the inner fender apron and have panel filters with a top lid. The Hellcat airbox utilizes the duct that feeds from the Air Catcher headlight port.

On the '15+ there's a duct from the lower grille that feeds into that apron.
On the T/A we have the hood scoop which feeds into the top of the airbox and the headlight port which attaches at the bottom of the airbox. With the ovalish cone filter. I am looking for just the tube from throttle body to cone. Can't find them...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually, ALL cars made in the last 20 years have Cold Air Intakes. These CAIs are almost universally tucked away unobtrusively. They don't show. Many aftermarket CAIs actually leak hot under hood air into the intake, they don't seal well, but they sound more powerful. The one universal trait that all CAIs have is that they delete the resonator, making the intake louder, vastly raising the 'horsepower' rating of your butt dyno. All Challengers have a CAI, it gets cold air from under the left front fender. SRTs add a "ram air" to the front in addition to the standard intake.

Personally, I would like to add the SRT system, then in addition to that cut off the resonator and add a second, smaller ram air filter to the passengers side. Giving me two frontal ram airs. Or, better yet making it like the prototype show car had it set up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mopar Muscle did a dyno test a few years back on Cold Air Intakes.
The results showed that all the brands tested DID increase the horsepower albeit a semi small one... 5-8 h.p. depending on the brand.
I put one on my '09 Classic R/T because of that test... probably the one most stock restrictive units out there
Soon after I had a chance to "test" mine against another completely stock 2010 5.7 Challenger.
My Challenger pulled him a little off the line, and after about a 1/4 mile I was more than a car length in front of him.
They do work. Are they worth the money?
They do have a nice sound at full throttle though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts