Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
They are not the same, if you get a Mopar CAI there is less of a chance that your warranty will be impacted since it is a product offered and sanctioned by Mopar.

·
Vendor
12,268 Posts
any filter that use an oil media to filter will affect warranty, the blue Mopar filter is dry media filter
Luke

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just bought a '12 rt which you all know is the 5.7. I don't have a warranty to deal with. I live in Kansas so I want something that can catch most of the fine dirt but also let the engine breathe

·
Vendor
12,268 Posts
This is actually interesting to hear from a dealer. Most support/allow/ignore K&Ns, despite my distaste for oiled filters.
not from me, remember sitting in a Cummins diesel meeting and was told if you come across a oil media filter, takes pictures and upload and we will restrict warranty immediately, at that time they where replacing 25 to 30 dusted engines a month under warranty, which should have never been covered

the issue with oil media is they are never serviced properly in the field, either too much oil or not enogh, on a diesel, not enough allows excessive dust to go past the filter which results in dusting of the engine, ie new engine
Luke

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
not from me, remember sitting in a Cummins diesel meeting and was told if you come across a oil media filter, takes pictures and upload and we will restrict warranty immediately, at that time they where replacing 25 to 30 dusted engines a month under warranty, which should have never been covered

the issue with oil media is they are never serviced properly in the field, either too much oil or not enogh, on a diesel, not enough allows excessive dust to go past the filter which results in dusting of the engine, ie new engine
Luke
That's a diesel, what about a gasoline engine? I just put my K&N in this fall before parking it... I may switch to an AEM when the K&N is ready to be replaced.

·
Vendor
12,268 Posts
in my opinion I would avoid them.....any kind of wear issue with that type of filter and you run the risk of buying an engine
Luke

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

Luke
Agreed on all counts. Worse filtration for increased airflow is a rough trade off. 20 years ago when they were the big kid on the block, sure. Now, there are plenty of options out there.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
So a dry filter is easier to service and will filter about the same as a oil one?
Yes,

I am using the Airaid cold air intake system. I clean the filter once a year with their dry filter cleaning solution. You spray it on, let it set for a bit, then rinse with the water going inside the filter so the dirt is washed away from the outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
K&N has a court case against the OEMS, This is K&N's Statment.
We are aware of the "urban myth" (K&N News Story) created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this "myth" and years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges. We believe that Dealership's or service provider's real incentive may be to discourage the use of reusable products so they can sell disposable products over and over. In order to provide consumers with added comfort that they will not be placed in a bad position by an improper warranty denial, we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
I have the Airaid dry filter, and a Prefilter. I clean the prefilter, the filter is literally spotless. A Guy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts