Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 SXT Plus

So spring is upon us... it's time to start thinking about some mods.

Before I jump on an exhaust I am thinking of doing the CAI first.

If memory serves me, Air Raid was at the top of the list for our model.

Is this still the case?

Inquiring minds want to know. I want to know.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Airaid is probably the cheapest option when considering CAI's. That's the way I went.

It uses the existing plumbing for the intake, and is an easy install. Keep in mind, this is a cosmetic mod only. It won't get you the 10 HP gains or anything like that.

The Mopar CAI looks good if you want the aluminum look, but the price is much higher.

Attachments

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't expect to get any HP but I was under (and maybe falsely) that it would help add slightly to the rumble upon acceleration ?

Is this wrong?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I don't expect to get any HP but I was under (and maybe falsely) that it would help add slightly to the rumble upon acceleration ?

Is this wrong?
I used a hellcat lower box on mine (R/T), with the air catcher tube, I had the mufflers swapped and resonators deleted previously, and it changed the exhaust tone a little. If you go with the open element type, you will get some more throttle body noise, like when you flipped the lid on mom's grocery getter when your were 16.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
BTW MEK, I like what you did with your engine bay. I did something similar.
You have the best looking 3.6 Engine cover I have seen :thumbsup: I am still working on mine, but it won't have the perfect paint yours does. The masking in the recesses areas is perfect!

When I added the Airaid CAI it did deapen the sound. I already had the Solo exhaust though. A Guy

Reactions: sdr2711

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I used a hellcat lower box on mine (R/T), with the air catcher tube, I had the mufflers swapped and resonators deleted previously, and it changed the exhaust tone a little. If you go with the open element type, you will get some more throttle body noise, like when you flipped the lid on mom's grocery getter when your were 16.
Or your own 442........ but also on Ma's whatever. Right you are! More to point yes, looks and sounds with the cai.
But...... that ain't bad!

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,699 Posts

Is this wrong?
Depending upon the design and construction of the unit, some added oomph is not out of the question...but neither is no noticeable difference, it all just depends.

If you go with a unit that is made well (no el-cheapo knock-offs) and replaces the whole air intake tube and airbox, you can certainly expect a more aggressive sound at WOT. Case in point:

----------------------------------------------

Here's what the CAI that made that noise looked like just after it was installed on the engine (and just before it was caught on tape making the sounds in the YouTube clip):

Injen CAI 03.jpg

Injen CAI 02.jpg

Injen CAI 01.jpg

I will say that I was able to realize more top end HP with that unit over stock setup, but it took me getting a tuner and datalogging the heck out of the car to figure out how and where to modify to the stock tune in order to take advantage of the new CAI's airflow, so that should be kept in mind.

Just slapping one on and going isn't going to hurt anything, but the ROI of a CAI is directly proportional to the amount of money and effort you put into acquiring and then incorporating the device into your engine's normal state of operation ( in other words, you have to make it known to the engine's computer that there is a new device flowing the air if you want to truly get some good out of your new performance mod).

Best of luck,
Nuke

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The HC filter will flow more and has the benefits of not being super-porous + oiled.
when you got to a parts store their computer lists the same replacement air filter part number for ALL Challenger Trims.... So it would still be 40 bucks from a dealer.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have the best looking 3.6 Engine cover I have seen :thumbsup: I am still working on mine, but it won't have the perfect paint yours does. The masking in the recesses areas is perfect!

When I added the Airaid CAI it did deapen the sound. I already had the Solo exhaust though. A Guy
Dude that means a lot coming from you. Thank you.

I didn't realize you had the exhaust already. Did you change the tube>? I forget.

Depending upon the design and construction of the unit, some added oomph is not out of the question...but neither is no noticeable difference, it all just depends.

If you go with a unit that is made well (no el-cheapo knock-offs) and replaces the whole air intake tube and airbox, you can certainly expect a more aggressive sound at WOT. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDuZhTz-i9g

----------------------------------------------

Here's what the CAI that made that noise looked like just after it was installed on the engine (and just before it was caught on tape making the sounds in the YouTube clip):

View attachment 889938

View attachment 889946

View attachment 889930

I will say that I was able to realize more top end HP with that unit over stock setup, but it took me getting a tuner and datalogging the heck out of the car to figure out how and where to modify to the stock tune in order to take advantage of the new CAI's airflow, so that should be kept in mind.

Just slapping one on and going isn't going to hurt anything, but the ROI of a CAI is directly proportional to the amount of money and effort you put into acquiring and then incorporating the device into your engine's normal state of operation ( in other words, you have to make it known to the engine's computer that there is a new device flowing the air if you want to truly get some good out of your new performance mod).

Best of luck,
Nuke
That is interesting. Never heard that before. Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Airaid is probably the cheapest option when considering CAI's. That's the way I went.

It uses the existing plumbing for the intake, and is an easy install. Keep in mind, this is a cosmetic mod only. It won't get you the 10 HP gains or anything like that.

The Mopar CAI looks good if you want the aluminum look, but the price is much higher.
I see that Airaid makes several different CAI's. There is the oiled filter and the oil-free. Each comes in a complete or an ultimate version. https://www.airaid.com/search/appse...=2018&make=DODGE&model=Challenger&engine=3.6L
What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,699 Posts
I see that Airaid makes several different CAI's. There is the oiled filter and the oil-free. Each comes in a complete or an ultimate version. https://www.airaid.com/search/appse...=2018&make=DODGE&model=Challenger&engine=3.6L
What are your thoughts?
Out of those on that page, I would personally opt for the AIRAID 351-210 unit. It's price point is more in line with what I would be willing to spend on such a mod, and it has the oil-free kind of filter element, which should reduce the pain-in-the-ass factor of filter maintenance down to almost zero. As opposed to the oiled kind, which are a gigantic pain in the ass to maintain, IMHO. But your experience with one could be different from mine, obviously.

The bottom line to me is that the oiled version hasn't been shown to have a higher filtration rate that I know of, so why subject oneself to the hassle of having it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts