Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here so sorry if this has been asked a bunch of times but after searching saw mainly just CAI for sale posts. Has anyone put in a CAI like K&N for example into their sxt and if so, do you notice any difference and can it void the warranty. Mopar makes them so I'm thinking warranty may not be an issue.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,910 Posts
A CAI won't void your warranty. The only possible issue would be an oiled filter, and just the right engine failure. I'd make sure to get a dry filter.

I have an AirAid CAI on mine, which has the CARB EO number as well, so is smog legal in all 50 states, although the 2018 and 2019 are not yet certified.

There is no noticeable performance increase. Some get them for the increased intake sound. I already had the Solo exhaust when I installed mine, so all I noticed is a deeper exhaust sound. I did it for the looks, and the reusable filter.

A Guy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an AirAid CAI on mine
That looks nice. Which one do you have as I see a few different models on their site for the 3.6L.

·
Super Moderator
12,910 Posts
I have the 352-210 (Black filter)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I went with Airaid too. It's a dry filter, where K&N is oiled. Mine is a 353-210. The price seemed reasonable to me, as the Mopar CAI was much more expensive. Some have bought the Mopar intake, because they like the look of the aluminum intake tube. Really, CAI are about looks, not performance.
IMG_4553 (Copy).JPG

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a relatively easy install from some of the videos I've seen. I like the Airaid and that it's a dry filter. You guys just wash them out with soap and water or is there a certain process?

Like the plum crazy of your Challenger MEK.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Looks like a relatively easy install from some of the videos I've seen. I like the Airaid and that it's a dry filter. You guys just wash them out with soap and water or is there a certain process?

Like the plum crazy of your Challenger MEK.
Don't be intimidated with the installation. It seems tough when you read the instructions, but take it easy, and you can have this installed in under an hour.

For the the cleaning process, Airaid has a dry filter cleaning solution. You spray it on, give it 10 minutes, then rinse the air filter out from the inside out. I do this once a year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the the cleaning process, Airaid has a dry filter cleaning solution. You spray it on, give it 10 minutes, then rinse the air filter out from the inside out. I do this once a year.
Good to know about the cleaning solution, thanks. So you're only cleaning the filter once a year?

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I only put 10,000 miles on it a year, so you may want to clean it more often depending on your miles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. Just found a new one on ebay for $75 less. Lucked out that it's the model # for our cars.

·
Super Moderator
12,910 Posts
I have never cleaned mine :) I put on a pre-filter and while ugly, a quick shake and all the dust just falls off. The instructions for cleaning say:

DO NOT OIL

Synthamax Air Filters DO NOT require OIL. Service air filter as needed by cleaning with common non-petroleum all purpose household cleaner and water. Simple Green®, Formula 409® or equivalent works great. Apply cleaner to the outside of air filter and allow to soak. Then flush filter clean from the inside out with a garden hose and repeat as necessary. Do not apply high pressure water or air to clean the filter. Allow filter to air dry and then reinstall.
I have the 799-472 Pre-Filter

The AIRAID Pre-Filter is manufactured from a durable water resistant polyester material. This unique free-flowing material has uniform openings that filter out debris .005" and larger. Dyno & flow bench testing has proven no significant loss in power or airflow using this product.
I also got it thinking I'd open the headlight, and the water resistance would come in handy. I have as yet not opened the headlight though :)

A Guy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed the intake today. If anything, it looks better and will be easy to access and clean the filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a K&N oiled filter on my SRT as well as every vehicle I own. There are definite power increases, whether people see, feel or realize the increases. More air and less restricted air in will result in a minor performance gain. My SRT has a sucking air whine when I hit 2500-3000 rpm. It's sounds awesome, and I'm running stock exhaust.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took it out tonight and there was a nice “growl” to the intake. Either that or a good placebo effect. Any kind of power increase will just be a bonus but digging the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,910 Posts
You'll usually get some intake sound. I already had the Solo exhaust when I put on the CAI, but it definitely made the exhaust sound deeper. Nothing earthshaking, but wasn't imagined :)

A Guy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I already had the Solo exhaust
Been reading up on Solo and like the fact it has the J pipes. Do you get any drone with yours?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Someone at work mentioned popping out the center halo light cap to get more air into the intake. Is that true or even necessary? Airaid instructions didn't mention it and I rather not.

·
Super Moderator
12,910 Posts
Zero drone with the Solo, the J-Pipes take care of that. You can certainly open the headlight if you like, there is no way to connect a tube to the Airaid directly of course, but it would let air in. I've not done it

A Guy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. Liking the Solo sound and setup from videos I've seen. I rather not open the light if there's no big benefit. Thinking it would just be an opportunity for debris to get in there.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts