Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hell bent on ordering a 2018 scat pack with shaker hood options list close to $10,000.I can order a 2018 SRT with my options list for $2,000 grand more with my supplier discount.Is the SRT worth the extra $$.Still pondering at this point..:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
I take it your shaker is spec'd out with the Dynamics package? Advantages to the SRT would the Adaptive suspension and Laguna leather seats which you can't get on the SPS. You could always do Katzkin later, so the big thing is the Adaptive Suspension worth it?

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
and add to that question - is the expense of the replacement (rotors esp.) brake parts (SRT) worth it?

For the street, the 4 piston brakes are more than enough. Plus you can fit 275/40s on the 9" Scat Pack wheels (either option).

Over the long term, those SRT adjustable shocks - a wear item, will set you back $2k for the parts, plus the installation costs. [Fronts are a strut layout, so the strut & spring have to be removed to change them]

Anyone planning on long-term ownership would need to evaluate if they want to have the burden of those costs and if they're willing to make that concession. For someone that trades in 3 - 4 years, not as much.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I did the Scat Pack and had the dealer put the katzkin in right away. Part of the deal. They threw it in for all I can tell.
Desperate, sat on the car a year. I would do the SPS. Just because of the Shaker! I believe you can get full leather in a Shaker. If not have them Skin it! I LOVE the Shaker.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
I did the Scat Pack and had the dealer put the katzkin in right away. Part of the deal. They threw it in for all I can tell.
Desperate, sat on the car a year. I would do the SPS. Just because of the Shaker! I believe you can get full leather in a Shaker. If not have them Skin it! I LOVE the Shaker.
No more full leather in Shaker models since the '17s. The "best" you can get is the Alcantara / leather seats.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
No more full leather in Shaker models since the '17s. The "best" you can get is the Alcantara / leather seats.
I'm aware.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is this because you track it? I'm curious to know why it's worth it.
I don't run on the track but I do like to be able to switch between street, sport, and track depending on road conditions. There is a big difference between Track Mode and Street Mode with the firmness of the suspension. I use a mix of track steering and traction with sport suspension, I have the M6 so there are no transmission settings like the A8 has.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why I'd go with the SPS:

- THAT SHAKER HOOD - you don't see that many of them around. At least here in Socal.
- Lower maintenance cost for brakes and suspensions.
- suspensions are really good enough for anything. Very comfortable for daily driving on normal roads and tight enough to corner pretty well too, even better after installing a strut tower brace.
- sometimes better interest rates compared to SRT products (I got 0% financing on my SPS on top of incentives and rebates vs 2.9% on SRT392 and couldn't turn that down)

Why I'd go with the SRT:

- MUCH better, heftier steering wheel with nicer paddles. For something that you are in contact ALL the time this actually makes a difference in the experience.
- Option for the beautiful Laguna leather. Would have loved to have that.
- Cleaner look overall - if you want it to look more sports car, gentleman's ride, performance coupe like vs tuned badass fast and furious muscle
- More options for center body/hood decals or hood wraps (you're not dependent on making it fit visually around the shaker hood)
- More options for aftermarket items under the hood (catch cans, strut tower bars, super chargers)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Why not the T/A 392?

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
I like everything about the SRT - the hood, stripes, wheels, brakes, seats, steering wheel, suspension, performance pages, everything. SRT set out to build the ultimate Challenger and that's what it is. :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
First time I've seen the Katzkin seats. That looks REALLY nice! I went with the A8 SRT as I go to the track a couple of times a year and in 2015, it was the only way to get the bigger tire and brake package. Track mode is real plus too. If I was buying today though, I'd seriously consider a T/A 392. Love the AAR Cuda style hood.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
First time I've seen the Katzkin seats. That looks REALLY nice! I went with the A8 SRT as I go to the track a couple of times a year and in 2015, it was the only way to get the bigger tire and brake package. Track mode is real plus too. If I was buying today though, I'd seriously consider a T/A 392. Love the AAR Cuda style hood.

Thank you and congratulations!!! Awesome car! Don't need nothing.

·
Registered
2018 Billet Silver SRT 392 (1 of 2)
137 Posts
I like everything about the SRT - the hood, stripes, wheels, brakes, seats, steering wheel, suspension, performance pages, everything. SRT set out to build the ultimate Challenger and that's what it is. :D

Well, since I just ordered an SRT 392, of course I agree with you. I just wish one still had the choice of the "slingshot" wheels for 2018 (other than the Brass Monkeys). I'm still trying to get used to the idea mine will have the five spoke wheels. Mind you, I don't dislike them and they are lighter but I think, given the choice, I would've gone with the slingshots.

saint 0:)

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Well, since I just ordered an SRT 392, of course I agree with you. I just wish one still had the choice of the "slingshot" wheels for 2018 (other than the Brass Monkeys). I'm still trying to get used to the idea mine will have the five spoke wheels. Mind you, I don't dislike them and they are lighter but I think, given the choice, I would've gone with the slingshots.

saint 0:)
I like the Slingshots the best but if I got a new SRT I'd get a set of those optional Hellcat wheels, they look pretty good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't run on the track but I do like to be able to switch between street, sport, and track depending on road conditions. There is a big difference between Track Mode and Street Mode with the firmness of the suspension. I use a mix of track steering and traction with sport suspension, I have the M6 so there are no transmission settings like the A8 has.
I agree with this. Same reasoning. I have a 2015 SRT 392 M6 (>44kmi) and regularly adjust for road conditions. The car noticeably handles differently between Street-Sport-Track modes. Now if only there were a way to default the TCS (Traction) to "off" I would be happier...

Regardless, good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the great view points on the scat pack shaker & SRT.I guess we are going to wait to make a decision until after the first of the year.:grin2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Laguna leather seats, IMO; are much, much nicer than the Alcantara seats. Between the seats and the beefier steering wheel - SRT.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts