Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 SRT and when the weather is cold and I start it first thing in the morning the car lets out a hell of a squeal which goes away in a second or two. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
The squeal sounds like it might be the serpentine belt and/or tensioner. If it's more of a whine, might be power steering which I have on very cold mornings as do a lot of cars.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have an 08 SRT and when the weather is cold and I start it first thing in the morning the car lets out a hell of a squeal which goes away in a second or two. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks
Its the belt slipping on the pulley, it goes away when the belt catches up.
If you rub a little bit of bar type (dry) handsoap on the inside of the belt that might go away...unless it is indicating a loose belt or tensioner or some other issue. It worked on old style belts, never tried it on the grooved ones though I think it would be worth a go, just dont overdo it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have an 08 SRT-8 and I'm not sure if this is what your discribing, but whenever it has been sitting over night and it's below 35f, when I start it it makes the "khonk" sound but instantly fires up...any ideas? same thing? Dealer said not to worry about it but I'm not sure I described it right to him..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It IS the belt but it is from the Alternator charging. It takes alot of power to turn the alternator when it is cold and fully charging. You just took alot of of amperage to crank a cold engine so now the alternator is recharging the battery. Applying belt dressing is not the fix. Replace the belt.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You do not need to replace anything Its just because your car is outside and its cold it doesn't or hasn't done it during the summer months because its warm. Its nothing to worry about. If your car make the sound after you've had it warmed up and driven it for a hour or two and it still makes that sound then you may want to check it out, but on a cold start you are fine its just because nothing in the engine is warmed up. No money needs to be wasted on a belt.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
This sounds like a drive belt issue.. Get it replaced or replace it yourself. It's not that difficult to do. You may also want to keep the one you take off in the spare tire area as a spare, it may save your a$$ someday.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everybody for the responses, Won't have to worry now they just sanded and salted the streets so she is gone away for the winter LOL.. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts