Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys noticed an increase in power due to the cold winter temperatures?

I had my 2009 SRT out today, in 27 degree weather, and the back end of the car would easily break loose and slide under 3/4 power, even with the ESP on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yep. I could really feel it my old 2010 SRT. Not so much in my 15.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
Yup and I love it...you should see what it is like with FI...too bad the tires are so cold that it feels like driving a Cheetah with buttered paws.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Cold dry air has the most HP.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Cold air = More HP + Cold Tires = No Grip

Reactions: spoolboy

·
Registered
779 Posts
Haven't started mine in two months, so I don't know. Won't start it again for three more months.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
950 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was returning from a 4hr round trip to drop off my son to stay with relatives and I was almost home. Outside temp gauge was reading in the teens but engine temp was above 170*
Figured what the heck, the car is certainly as warm as it's going to get. I did a 60mph roll on the highway to see what the HP would read on the disply in the cold weather. Just left it in ECO mode and floored it. Car downshifted, kicked sideways and the ESC light and traction control light both came on and cut power. I'd never had it loose traction above 40 on a dry road before. Screen read 515hp, FWIW. Car is stock except for a Tazer.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Do you have a trickle charger on it so it won't discharge?
Nope, no power access where I have it locked away. I have a good jump box to take care of it. Last Spring, the car still had juice but needed a little help to start.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
Nope, no power access where I have it locked away. I have a good jump box to take care of it. Last Spring, the car still had juice but needed a little help to start.
Please tell me you remove the battery and take it home to sit on a battery tender, or at least disconnect the ground cable.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,146 Posts
That's why your track times will be better in cooler weather. It has to do with D/A (Density of air).

Cooler air carries more oxygen in it and allows the car to make more power, It's kind of like Mother Nature's Nitrous system.

Please drive Safely! :cheers:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Please tell me you remove the battery and take it home to sit on a battery tender, or at least disconnect the ground cable.
Nope. I'll throw a charger on it in a couple of weeks to bring the battery up, but that's it. I'm not pulling the battery until I have to replace it. Of course, I may have sold the car before the time comes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts