Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my Challenger's first winter, and so far it's done really well. However, it seems that whenever I start it up in very cold weather (I wanna say when it's less than 25 degrees out), a screeching sound comes from, what sounds like, the Serpentine belt for the first 30 or so seconds and then stops. Does anyone else with a 3.6l experience this?

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
2012 SXT parked outside every day/all night, and I remote start it in all kinds of nasty temps/weather without a problem. I bought the car on Christmas Eve and I can count the number of days here in Indiana since then we've had above freezing temps on one hand. BRUTAL January winter mess! The worst winter weather I can remember. SXT has been a real trooper!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, my SXT does it too, maybe a shorter time. I really think it is an air intake noise, my since sold 328 Ferrari used to sound like a flock of geese on a cold engine, that was air intake and perfectly normal

Kevin

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you suspect that it is the belt, try a Goodyear Gatorback belt. They have diagonal cuts across the ribs and grip the pulleys exceptionally well. I learned about them when I had a supercharged car.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine does this in very cold weather as well. I agree with it coming from the intake as mine will occasionally squeal if I get on it a little too much right after starting it in the cold.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I have a 2013 SXT, and I'm in the same club. Below 20* F, it sounds like I have a blower motor when I first start it up. The sound doesn't last long though.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Same here with my 2014 RT. Goes away after 30 seconds or so. I have the engine block heater option and I set the extension cord to a timer , so it wouldn't waste electric all night. I haven't started it yet using the engine heater, to see if it squeals. Tonight , its supposed to snow another 3-5 inches, AGAIN ! I guess I will be taking my 03 Saturn to work for next couple of days. Guys at work keep asking me if I got my Challenger yet.....I tell em' yes except the weather sucks to go drive it !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the input everyone. Paying close attention to it throughout this week, I've noticed that it does seem like it's coming from the air intake. It seems to be a little louder and last a little longer (my first observed time of 30 seconds was way off -it's more like 10-12 tops) when it's under 10 degrees out; when it's over 20 degrees, theres no noise.
Another question: why would an air intake makes noise when it's really cold out? Also, does just the stock air intake make the noise -does this still happen with, like say, a Mopar or K&N CAI?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts