Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thinking about buying a 70 Challenger w/a 318 & 904. Its got column shift, but I would want to have it converted to a console. In addition, I figure I might as well have the transmission serviced at the same time - I've heard you can beef the 904 up pretty easily. I'm not looking to race it but I would like to add horsepower eventually and I might as well fortify the transmission a little while I'm there right?

Assuming I could hunt down an original console and slap shifter, I'm wondering roughly what kind of labor cost should I reasonably expect for the conversion, 904 upgrade, and servicing?

Thanks guys ~

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
There will be some floorpan modification for the console shift provision - but you should be able to get most of the parts.

The console upper & lower shells, shift plate lens are available as reproductions.

One other item (to look complete) is having a console shift version steering column.

These didn't have the PRND21 quadrant on them - I've seen conversions where the column wasn't changed over and you see the stub where the former column shift lever was.

Of course, that adds more $$ to the conversion.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You may want to look at lokar dot com as I plan to do this on my Monte Carlo SS that has 6/40 bench seat.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I did a conversion on my 66 Ford Fairlane

OK - yes, there.. I said that four letter word on a Challenger site

Anyways, it's pretty much as Hal points out. And it all depends on just how close to OEM you want to be. Me, I built a custom console, installed a B&M shifter, took the column collar and cut off the "nub" for the column shifter, bondo'd it, smoothed it out and painted it body color. You could tell if you looked close, but walking by and looking in, it looked correct.

It can be done, and I would think your biggest cost might be getting the reproduction (or original) console etc... For me, my biggest hassle was the transmission hump reinforcement piece.. hard to find for the Fairlane

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, thanks for all the advice. I ending buying the car, 318/904 numbers matching 1970 Challenger - hah, it pretty much ate up my graduation money & a good chunk of my savings but it has been my dream car since high school and I'm from Hawaii where they're extremely few and far in between so I figured I might as well pull the trigger while I'm on the mainland. I've owned a '73 El Camino & '78 Mustang, but this is my first Mopar.. I'm stoked!

So I've seen a few '70 slapstick shifters, linkages, and consoles floating around eBay. But would the '71-'74 setups fit?

Thanks again guys! (btw, Hemi 57, those Lokars are growing on me!)

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
The slapstik shifters should be the same among the years '71-'74.

The '70 console top was different from the '71-'74 in that at the rear it had slots for the lap belt buckles to store in when not in use.

The '71+ later style had the rear ashtray (chrome) receptacle with the re-design. Also the lower console half is different for 4-speed stick vs. the automatic versions, so you'll want the correct automatic style console.

The '71-'74 B-body (Charger, Roadrunner/Satellite) used the same console as the E-body, just those only had the '71 and later design top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Hal! I think I'm either going to try to find the correct '70 shifter and console on eBay or I'll just rod it a bit with something like the Lokars Hemi57 suggested.

@ 808-340: Got the PM, sorry about the slow response, schools been keeping me busy. I was bored in class a few weeks ago and randomly found it on Craigslist in a tiny town in Montana. Flew over to check it out on Super Bowl Sunday. Love at first sight. Its no R/T or T/A and I had to scrape the pockets for it but its got a numbers matching drivetrain, original paint, and minimal rust - drives decent and even has the original dog dish rims too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts