Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone reused these before? Part of the reason I bought these are because they are supposed to be reusable but I'm a little nervous to use them again. I just tore down the 408 in my truck and I'm throwing it back together. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Has anyone reused these before? Part of the reason I bought these are because they are supposed to be reusable but I'm a little nervous to use them again. I just tore down the 408 in my truck and I'm throwing it back together. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these.

I have reuse them on my 540 blown motor 938HP. Make sure the matting surface on your heads and block are to Cometic specification.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Just my opinon so take it for what it is but i would never reuse a gasket. Ever. For all the time involved the last thing i want to do is a tear down after a install or rebuild over 50 bucks of gaskets. Just mu opinion though

sent from mobile device

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Just my opinon so take it for what it is but i would never reuse a gasket. Ever. For all the time involved the last thing i want to do is a tear down after a install or rebuild over 50 bucks of gaskets. Just mu opinion though

sent from mobile device
Cometic are not $50 gaskets they start at 110 each mine cost 190. each. Most Cometic are custom made. Do your research.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if it worked for u with that major of a setup my mild build should be ok. Thanks for the info. I'm squeamish to re-use them but I remember that being a reason I bought them. All together now so we shall see

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Well if it worked for u with that major of a setup my mild build should be ok. Thanks for the info. I'm squeamish to re-use them but I remember that being a reason I bought them. All together now so we shall see

I was the same way at first but the Cometic proved them self. You did follow the recommended finish on the heads and block I hope this is important.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The finish shouldnt be any different then the day they left the machine shop. they still looked and felt good and smooth. 50 RA is pretty rough. I machine parts to 4 rz or better so I have a little knowledge on surface finish (I hope). The only reason the heads came off are because I thought they were leaking but I found no sighns of them leaking at all. Is that monster blown motor in the challenger?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
The finish shouldnt be any different then the day they left the machine shop. they still looked and felt good and smooth. 50 RA is pretty rough. I machine parts to 4 rz or better so I have a little knowledge on surface finish (I hope). The only reason the heads came off are because I thought they were leaking but I found no sighns of them leaking at all. Is that monster blown motor in the challenger?
I just wanted to make sure your surface was correct. You would be surprise at how many don't get the right.
The 540's are in my offshore Scarab boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts