Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 2021 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody M6 on order right now and is my first time coming back to the car since my 2018 Scat Pack M6. It's been awhile since being in the Challenger community and keeping up on what's out there in the aftermarket. First thing I want to do is an exhaust immediately. I had Borla Atak cat back on my 2017 Scat Pack and liked. Not as loud as I hoped but still sounded great. A big pro to that system is the Valve Simulators were flawless. The one thing I really disliked is the massive canisters on each pipe near the tips. Was thinking about AWE 3" system as it's a literally just a straight pipe and tips but is a H-Pipe mid so not sure how that stacks up against an X-pipe configuration. Does anyone know if the AWE has valve simulators?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes. I have the AWE Touring with no res and it is straight through. The rear 180 reso is straight through with a hole in the pipe. Zero drone! Not really that noticable in cab but it is loud outside. Especially if you get on it. I have actually ordered the mid reso to tone it down a hair.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I have the AWE Touring with no res and it is straight through. The rear 180 reso is straight through with a hole in the pipe. Zero drone! Not really that noticable in cab but it is loud outside. Especially if you get on it. I have actually ordered the mid reso to tone it down a hair.
I just noticed that your have a '15 SRT. Do you have to worry about the dual mode exhaust valves? I didn't know if that was available on a 2015, if so does the AWE come with valve simulators?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just noticed that your have a '15 SRT. Do you have to worry about the dual mode exhaust valves? I didn't know if that was available on a 2015, if so does the AWE come with valve simulators?
Yes, they come with a plate that you mount the valves on and ziptie them up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they come with a plate that you mount the valves on and ziptie them up.
Ok so it's not welded on like the Borla? In the Borla the simulators are basically a box the stock valve sensor attaches to with a beehive shaped spring in it. The spring provides tension for the valve to turn as if actually turning valves. Is that how the AWE functions? Have you had any issues with it at all?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok so it's not welded on like the Borla? In the Borla the simulators are basically a box the stock valve sensor attaches to with a beehive shaped spring in it. The spring provides tension for the valve to turn as if actually turning valves. Is that how the AWE functions? Have you had any issues with it at all?
There is a CNC plate that the actuator attaches to without the spring. It has a pin in the place of the spring. I just installed the exhaust about two weeks ago. I am having a Procharger installed at the moment so not much time with it. I did get a check engine light on the drivers side but didn't have time to look at it. AWE guaranties no CEL light. I am having the actuators turned off in the tune anyway so not worried about it. The AWE is built very well and sounds good. It was a little raspy for me so I ordered the resos. They are 45 days out on manufacturing so keep that in-mind. There is no valve in the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
No concerns for warranty on your new ride? I also have a 2021 SPWB and dealers are warning me not to mess with my exhaust unless I want grief from Dodge. Just curious. All I want to do is Dynomax Mini Race Bullets swap for the mids.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No concerns for warranty on your new ride? I also have a 2021 SPWB and dealers are warning me not to mess with my exhaust unless I want grief from Dodge. Just curious. All I want to do is Dynomax Mini Race Bullets swap for the mids.
I’ve never had an issue with my dealer and an aftermarket exhaust concerning a warranty. Maybe it’s because it doesn’t physically hook up to the engine like long tubes or a intake? I’ve never had an issue Though.

There is a CNC plate that the actuator attaches to without the spring. It has a pin in the place of the spring. I just installed the exhaust about two weeks ago. I am having a Procharger installed at the moment so not much time with it. I did get a check engine light on the drivers side but didn't have time to look at it. AWE guaranties no CEL light. I am having the actuators turned off in the tune anyway so not worried about it. The AWE is built very well and sounds good. It was a little raspy for me so I ordered the resos. They are 45 days out on manufacturing so keep that in-mind. There is no valve in the exhaust.
badass man. I appreciate your help

Ok the borla atak system does anyone know what the massive canisters are welded on to the pipe just before the tips?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
Ok the borla atak system does anyone know what the massive canisters are welded on to the pipe just before the tips?
They are helmholtz resonators (1/4 wave). They replace resonators and are designed to remove offensive frequencies (drone). Similar theory as Solo J-Pipes

A Guy

Reactions: Immortal1

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
The sound waves enter then come back 180° out of phase and cancel out the drone. They should have no or negligible effect on flow. It's just Borla's design

A Guy

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
The sound waves enter then come back 180° out of phase and cancel out the drone. They should have no or negligible effect on flow. It's just Borla's design

A Guy
Odd, Bose had the same idea. Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so AWE Track Exhaust vs Borla ATAK does anyone have opinions. Seems like AWE track would be louder but not sure about the valve simulators. Any one have AWE track?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok so AWE Track Exhaust vs Borla ATAK does anyone have opinions. Seems like AWE track would be louder but not sure about the valve simulators. Any one have AWE track?
FYI, AWE touring without mid resos is a straight pipe all the way. The rear 180 has a straight pipe right through it with a hole in it. It is loud! Its a straight pipe system that kills drone inside the car. There is no sound absorbing material or muffler. Volume will be real close or the same between track and touring without mid resos. The 180 chamber only cancels frequencies not volume. The mid reso helps with some raspy to the tone. The AWE touring without reso is the same design as the Borla Atak. If you are looking for the most volume, remove the cats but I don't recommend that. They are there for a reason.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI, AWE touring without mid resos is a straight pipe all the way. The rear 180 has a straight pipe right through it with a hole in it. It is loud! Its a straight pipe system that kills drone inside the car. There is no sound absorbing material or muffler. Volume will be real close or the same between track and touring without mid resos. The 180 chamber only cancels frequencies not volume. The mid reso helps with some raspy to the tone. The AWE touring without reso is the same design as the Borla Atak. If you are looking for the most volume, remove the cats but I don't recommend that. They are there for a reason.
probably just going to go with theBorla. I had it before it was great I guess why experiment. What I don’t like is that there’s no picture/diagram/official explanation of what they do for the valves. Although I wish the Borla came with tips like the AWE

·
Registered
96 Posts
probably just going to go with theBorla. I had it before it was great I guess why experiment. What I don’t like is that there’s no picture/diagram/official explanation of what they do for the valves. Although I wish the Borla came with tips like the AWE
The thing with exhaust systems is you don't know for sure until you hear it in person. I went with the AWE as they had really good sound clips and I liked the build quality and the black tips. I went with recommendation with no resos. I have ordered the resos after I installed. I really liked the Magnaflow setup on my Ram but couldn't bring myself to spend $2800 on some noise although not far off with the AWE. I am overall happy with the AWE but adding the resos to tame down some of the raspyness. Honestly, the factory setup with the valves open all the time sounds really good. I just wanted something a little different. If you were happy with the Borla setup before, I would probably stick with them. Borla makes some nice stuff.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thing with exhaust systems is you don't know for sure until you hear it in person. I went with the AWE as they had really good sound clips and I liked the build quality and the black tips. I went with recommendation with no resos. I have ordered the resos after I installed. I really liked the Magnaflow setup on my Ram but couldn't bring myself to spend $2800 on some noise although not far off with the AWE. I am overall happy with the AWE but adding the resos to tame down some of the raspyness. Honestly, the factory setup with the valves open all the time sounds really good. I just wanted something a little different. If you were happy with the Borla setup before, I would probably stick with them. Borla makes some nice stuff.
I would love to try AWE. I was going to go with them when I had my Camaro cause it sounds amazing on that platform. I just wish they had pictures/|diagrams available of their work around for dealing with the valves throwing codes. Borla is very clear on that and having used them confident it will be fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
Picture of the AWE simulators

ChallyTatum can tell you more

A Guy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts