Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did it I bought a pair of Longtubes for Big Red. I don't want to say much about them till I get them in a few days because I went a different route then most. I wanted to get ARH headers but just couldn't justify the price. the ones I bought are 1 7/8 primaries and 3 inch ball socket full length headers. the only thing they appear to lack is a merge spike. 304 stainless they are also SRT based with D-ports.

After I get them I will take detailed photos and more info about them along with my thoughts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just got them in the door, on the floor, and opened. anyways I ordered a pair of Topspeed Pro-1 Challenger headers, mandrel bent, tig-welded, equal length 1 7/8 primaries with 3 inch collector, good looking flanges, came with o2 plugs, gaskets. My only complaint is it looks like the welds could have been slightly better but they aren't complete garbage. I believe that they base these on Kooks headers as they appear really similar with the exception of the lack of a merge spike and can accept Kooks mids. I'm going to try and have some good pictures up in a bit to give some better insight. total out of pocket expense is......520$

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures

here they are, if I missed something just ask. I had to shrink them down to half size because they were too big to post, sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I got new 6.4 gaskets along with 6.1 header bolts from Steve White, I went out today to see if I could make any progress on getting my tubes on but had to cancel as I found I was going to run short on time.

I also ran into some problems, I can't get at the inner bolts by the engine to remove the cats and midpipes. I got the passenger side heatshield unbolted but can't weasel it out at all. what tools do I need? I found myself using only a 1/4 drive due to the small space. I do need to pickup a swivel arm. any help would be awsome

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've recently seen these headers on eBay and was interested - but I wanted to see how they work with the Kooks headers (and if that then lets them connect up to the rest of a stock system)

Sorry I can't help with the heatshield question

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they actually recommended that I use Kooks midpipes so I would assume that they will bolt up with no problems. I just lost all interest with my car right now as my damn mom backed into the drivers door and crushed it today, ****ing fantastic...........

·
Registered
132 Posts
As far as the install you will need all the swivels and extensions. Also I would recommend ratcheting boxed end wrenches as there were a couple of nuts&bolts on the passenger side of my '12 that I could only put a wrench on. If i had a ratcheting boxed end wrench it would have been much easier.

·
Registered
583 Posts
following. these are supposed to be for 6.1 and 6.4 only. they have been looking for a test pig for the 5.7 hopefully they work out! what mids did you get?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
following. these are supposed to be for 6.1 and 6.4 only. they have been looking for a test pig for the 5.7 hopefully they work out! what mids did you get?

they told me nobody has put them on, by rights they should fit the same. I did not get any mids, and don't actually plan on it. like I said I believe they are kooks based and they recommended kooks mids, so they should fit like kooks. I asked Luke at Steve White about fitment and he said that Kooks for the 6.1/6.4 will fit a 5.7 BUT also said that not all headers are created equal and without a spare 1000$ or pair of kooks headers I cannot confirm how closely matched they are. I still need to grab a couple extra tools along with some days off from work to try and punch out the install. I will keep everyone posted how things go.

oh I forgot to mention the Ebay ad is a little wonky looking at the measurements of the primaries and collector, I asked and verified myself also that they are indeed 1 7/8 x 3.

·
Registered
583 Posts
please keep us updated if they work out for you. get some pictures and what you needed for the install too. not sure if youre gonna need 02 extensions or not

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
please keep us updated if they work out for you. get some pictures and what you needed for the install too. not sure if youre gonna need 02 extensions or not
oh I forgot to mention the best deal I could find was from Jegs for a bag of Kooks O2 extensions, they come with 2 6' and 2 18' extensions. but will post updates when I can get cracking on them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm really sorry to anyone that was following this project or anything I've been up to. things have been pretty crazy here and I feel I owe everybody some explanation and to explain that things are kind of on definite hold or severely slowed. My dad passed away a few months ago and I have been trying to deal with his estate along with my 2 sisters and brother (not going well either). I have lost the motivation to get to deep in anything with my Challenger Roza right now and winter is starting really bad. I'm not quite sure when I will get to resume the build but as of now, I'm only looking at working on simple things to keep me occupied like gauges and getting a monster tach along with working on my Fiero. again sorry about the bumps in this project to anyone following.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts
My condolences

A Guy

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm finishing up redoing the interior LEDs, so I'll post up a pic of them later. I put off redoing them for a while but it was a distinct mod I had finished and miss now. it was a pretty neat experience, I had bought my own rolls of leds, solder, silicone, and other stuff to learn how to solder and to learn how to make led strips. overall fun but I will buy better quality rolls of leds if I ever do it again as it was hit and miss with mine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got some of the leds knocked out. grill and the interior redone. pictures don't do her justice though

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Merry Christmas you crazy animals. I can't believe this thread is this old and 4 cars later. I just got the headers on yesterday, fit is great, have to go back and loosen up the passenger side, I left out the last bolt for the dipstick tube and found the flange shifted. if you have small flexible hands there is no need to remove anything. I did remove the air filter box and tube, middle coil packs on both sides. passenger side is truly miserable though, I don't know why but you don't have nearly as much room as the drivers side.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts