Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets hear some of you all’s or commonly known 6.4L challenger problems or issues. Just curious to see what is y’alls experience with issues in this car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trunk isn't sealed up real well. Water will come in through the trunk line, run down the body and into through the taillight seal into the trunk well...where the battery and subwoofer etc...reside. It's a relatively "dirty" engine as well so a catch can will capture and condense nasty oil vapor so it can be emptied out rather than burned. Not really a "problem" but an issue for sure. Other than that...haven't had any "problems" in 9k mi worth of life out of mine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
not particularly for the 6.4L - but i wouldnt mind being able to open my car in the mornings (when below zero, with propper precautions) without getting a mini heartattack that i might fk up my window mechanism.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
651 Posts
rear tires and not a MPG car at all !! LOL

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
My engine sounds too good, which makes me want to step on the gas pedal more, resulting in poor fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The only issue has been the Water Pump. On my second. First at around 25k miles and again at like 59k miles. Besides that the only other problem is finding a track close to where I live to let loose!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only issue has been the Water Pump. On my second. First at around 25k miles and again at like 59k miles. Besides that the only other problem is finding a track close to where I live to let loose!
Also heard that 6.4 auto transmission sometimes has problems like rough shifting. Is that true? I assume its normal for it to shift less smooth as it ages but i want to know if its a reoccuring problem.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,374 Posts
Also heard that 6.4 auto transmission sometimes has problems like rough shifting. Is that true? I assume its normal for it to shift less smooth as it ages but i want to know if its a reoccuring problem.
I have seen some TSBs where the PCM/TCM were reflashed to improve drivability on the older models. Probably not an issue with the newer models as the usually get the latest and greatest calibrations.

·
Registered
14,535 Posts
Same A8 used for 5.7L and 6.4L and overall seem to be reliable.

The 6-month oil changes to keep your warranty is a hassle but really it's a been a good engine.

My 16 has over 20K miles and will be 4 years old next month and not a single issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JavierA

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,892 Posts
I’ll stop short of calling it “common”, but the Hemi’s propensity for eating camshaft lobes (after corresponding lifter failure) is a known thing.

The failure rates are definitely skewed more toward the 5.7L Hemi engines, but this failure has occurred with the 6.4L Hemi also, so it’s not immune by any means.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ll stop short of calling it “common”, but the Hemi’s propensity for eating camshaft lobes (after corresponding lifter failure) is a known thing.

The failure rates are definitely skewed more toward the 5.7L Hemi engines, but this failure has occurred with the 6.4L Hemi also, so it’s not immune by any means.
Honestly, a lot of the problems i hear from people on challengers are almost always for the RT and ive never seen anything like that on a 6.4L. Only thing ive seen happen is a friend of mine had a 80k mile scat pack and the transmission would shift pretty rough at times. Normal acceleration and normal driving, everything street mode and nothing really tuned. Still the A8 is a great transmission and I kinda wanna save a little fuel with MDS

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,374 Posts
There are a couple here with 6.4s that have had cam/lift failures with both automatic (MDS lifters) and manual trans.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I have seen some TSBs where the PCM/TCM were reflashed to improve drivability on the older models. Probably not an issue with the newer models as the usually get the latest and greatest calibrations.
I received this TSB, and it really improved the 1-2 shifting. It used to get some resistance and sort of "clunk" to and from a stop. It wouldn't make any clunky sounds, but it definitely felt like it wasn't shifting properly. I doubt it did any damage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts