Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Common brake issue question...

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Rockster 
#1 ·
Ive got an 2009 SE. When slowly coming to a stop or stepping onto the brake with the car running, but not moving, my rear drivers side brake is making a creaking sound, more so when I keep pressing hard on the brake pedal. The driver side rear rotor looks like its needs to be changed but the pads are fine. Is this a case of the caliper needing to be lubricated, serviced etc?

I'm also getting pulsating brakes when stopping hard. I know that could be warped rotors but all 3 other rotors and pads look fine.

Before I bring it in to my local shop or check it out myself, thanks.

#3 ·
Not much of an update but today I took off both rear calipers, lubed/cleaned pads, hardware and caliper pins. I pushed the pistons back in as well. Went for a drive and the creaking sound coming to a stop seems to be gone. However I'm getting uneven pad wear on my passenger side rear.

This is my first time servicing my own brakes, any tips on how to get the caliper bracket bolts loose?

#4 ·
If the pad wear is uneven between the wheels on the same axle, this can be a sign of sticking brake caliper piston or for some reason one brake is doing more of the braking. In this case the car might want to pull to one side when braking.

Caliper bolts can be hard to remove. They are exposed to the elements. You can apply some Liquid Wrench and let this work. Make an application of this several times over as much time as you can wait for this to work. The longer the better.

Also, I have taken a punch and a hammer and with the punch on the bolt head given it a couple of good smacks with the hammer. In this case the bolt was an Allen head bolt. A hex bolt if there is room/clearance you can hit the bolt head with a hammer. A couple of times. This can "break" the bolt loose from the grip of corrosion so it can then be loosened. It can also open up the clearance between the bolt and the caliper and allow more Liquid Wrench to seep down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.