Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since installing the 274 cam in my 5.7, it has gone through a quart of oil (I never had to add oil before install), and my change oil light came on after less than 3k miles on the cam. The change oil light usually comes on after like 5k miles or more. Any idea what could be going on? I changed the oil and filter the day after installing the cam. Not sure why it would be dirty so quickly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Did you pull the heads for the install? If so it could be an issue with the head gasket(s). A starting point would to be to check the coolant too see if you are getting any oil mixed into your coolant. Check for discoloring in the coolant kind of a milky or grey. You cold also check your oil fill cap to see if there is any milky residue building up there.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
a high-po cam will generally and up creating higher oil temperatures when running under demand or as I call it "spirited driving'.

After I put the 392 cam in my '09 5.7, oil temps ran higher (ended up putting the Mopar engine oil cooler on that). If I drove it hard, I could trigger the oil change intervals as soon as 1,850 mi to 3,650. It used to average 5,500mi when stock.

You're running more air / fuel over stock, so the engine puts out more heat. Oil not only lubricates, but cools down the internals.

As for oil consumption - if the heads were removed and valves removed, were the valve stem seals replaced? they could have been damaged and that could account for increased oil consumption.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I'm running the 274 phaser CAM and other mods also have the rev limiter set to 6800 RPMs and I don't have issues with higher oil temps. I'm also running 429 gears so my RPMS are higher at cruising speeds. oil is actually formulated for it's main viscosity rating at around 210 degrees. You also want it to hit at least 212 degrees to remove residual moisture that builds up from the engine as it cools down. Where you exceeding 220-230?

Regarding the valve stem seals you typically see a little white or grey smoke when those go bad.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running the 274 phaser CAM and other mods also have the rev limiter set to 6800 RPMs and I don't have issues with higher oil temps. I'm also running 429 gears so my RPMS are higher at cruising speeds. oil is actually formulated for it's main viscosity rating at around 210 degrees. You also want it to hit at least 212 degrees to remove residual moisture that builds up from the engine as it cools down. Where you exceeding 220-230?

Regarding the valve stem seals you typically see a little white or grey smoke when those go bad.
I have a 180° thermostat and the engine runs on average 194° under normal driving conditions, and all the way to 210° under WOT. That's in 85°F+ weather though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
One other thing that could cause oil contamination is the PVC valve.. seems coincidental to time it with the cam install but may be worth checking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts