Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to do the Comp cams 274. I see HHP has a few other things needed for purchase. ARe this items listed all I would need? Besides a tune?

·
Registered
760 Posts
You ever get this figured out? Yes HHP sells a whole kit that has everything you need in it (valvesprings, retainers, shims, cam, limiter, lifters if needed). While its apart I would buy some better pushrods as well, not required but a good thing if you can afford it.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I take it from your name its for a 5.7. A 274 is BIG for a 5.7 and are reportedly hard to tune.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You ever get this figured out? Yes HHP sells a whole kit that has everything you need in it (valvesprings, retainers, shims, cam, limiter, lifters if needed). While its apart I would buy some better pushrods as well, not required but a good thing if you can afford it.
Haven't figured it out yet. You are the first to respond, but I think I'll just get everything they say I'll need and go from there.

·
Premium Member
9,372 Posts
No it's actually a 392. I don't know how to change the username. Lol.
Contact the site administrator and request a name change. Then in your signature put the former name so readers will know who you were.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd grab some push rods as well. In fact I'm doing a Comp 270 in my 5.7 within the next week or so. I got everything from HHP, and found they have the Pushrods as well for around 150. It's cheap insurance so I'm getting them.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It is a big cam for a 5.7 displacement. They are no longer that difficult to tune however, non-mopar oriented shops may have difficulties. If you go through email tunes from reputable shops like HHP, you will do fine.

But it is good to note that the 274 really lacks in low end performance and some mid range as well. So unless you are planning on solely racing the car, the 270 is perhaps a better match, especially for a daily driver. That being said, I have heard from several different people that they love the 274 so it's just a personal preference on how you want your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts