Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to increase HP and performance. Not a track person but I do drive spirited. I was looking at the Comp Cams webpage and ask a tech what they would recommend. This is what they sent me.

Hi Randy,
For your build...go with the 201-303-17...This will have a RPM range between
1900-7000...This will be a lot of fun with the manual transmission that you are
working with...220/230 duration @ .050" and .596/.582 lift with a LS of 114...
This cam with the spring upgrade and associated parts is good for about a
80+ HP.....Lots of the Fun Factor...
To make this easy...go with the MK201-303-17 which is the cam, lifters, springs,
retainers, locks, seals, spring seats, phaser limiter and pushrods...$1534.12...

The actual price on the website runs $1700.

Any thoughts on this?

thanks
-Russell

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,555 Posts
Looking to increase HP and performance. Not a track person but I do drive spirited. I was looking at the Comp Cams webpage and ask a tech what they would recommend. This is what they sent me.

Hi Randy,
To make this easy...go with the MK201-303-17 which is the cam, lifters, springs,
retainers, locks, seals, spring seats, phaser limiter and pushrods...$1534.12...

Any thoughts on this?

thanks
-Russell
Sounds pretty reasonable to me, I would have figured all that hardware would be much closer to $2000, if not over.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Hi Randy,

Any thoughts on this?

thanks
-Russell
U will also need a tune.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
U will also need a tune.

Definitely, any bump in horsepower should be complimented by an equally righteous tune selection. I like Seven Dust, something off their Home or Seasons albums preferably. 🤘

Oh wait, you were talking about a custom engine tune for the cam, okay, n/m!

Reactions: grandpa-srt4

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U will also need a tune.

Moparnoother,

Was also looking at tunes. is it better to buy a tuner like to Diablo I3 tuner or take it and get it tuned professionally? Don't really know the difference between the two.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Definitely, any bump in horsepower should be complimented by an equally righteous tune selection. I like Seven Dust, something off their Home or Seasons albums preferably.

Oh wait, you were talking about a custom engine tune for the cam, okay, n/m!
Yeah a tune for the ecu lol. U can't get anything with out a tune for your new cam as well as it may run worse or threw a code

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Moparnoother,

Was also looking at tunes. is it better to buy a tuner like to Diablo I3 tuner or take it and get it tuned professionally? Don't really know the difference between the two.
the DiabloSport tuner will allow you to load a custom tune done by someone else, but you would still have to pay for a custom tune to be done for the new cammed engine.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
All I can say is for <$1000 I was able to install a 6.2 (similar to a 6.4 but essentially more exhaust duration) cam on 2015 RT M6 and it was a noticeable difference.

Here is the thread about the swap.

Here is a vid showing potential power gain of 6.4 cam swap with headers, and 6.4 intake.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I can say is for <$1000 I was able to install a 6.2 (similar to a 6.4 but essentially more exhaust duration) cam on 2015 RT M6 and it was a noticeable difference.

Here is the thread about the swap.

Here is a vid showing potential power gain of 6.4 cam swap with headers, and 6.4 intake.
Chally,

so after installing the 6.2 cam and the MOPAR Valve Springs (P5160074) what rods did you use?

seriously thinking about going this route.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
Chally,

so after installing the 6.2 cam and the MOPAR Valve Springs (P5160074) what rods did you use?

seriously thinking about going this route.
Technically you don't need to replace the pushrods...5.7/6.2/6.4 use the same P/N. But I upgraded my rods shortly after buying my challenger with some comp cam ones.

If you plan on doing a SC then a 6.2 cam is the way to go. As for the springs, you can by them way cheaper individually than the P5160074 kit.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Technically you don't need to replace the pushrods...5.7/6.2/6.4 use the same P/N. But I upgraded my rods shortly after buying my challenger with some comp cam ones.

If you plan on doing a SC then a 6.2 cam is the way to go. As for the springs, you can by them way cheaper individually than the P5160074 kit.
Thanks. That was extremely helpful. I need to do more research on how to do this swap.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I checked the moparpartsgiant website, it states it will not fit my challenger. I have a 2014 and you have a 2015. not sure the difference between the two besides years of course.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
What won't fit your 2014? Should not be a difference in eagle engines (aka VVT) from 2009 to current.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts