Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
464 Posts
And if your car has 50,000+ miles i would definitely consider new lifters. Every shop I called recommended I got new lifters even though i have a 6 speed just because you don't wanna risk flattening a lobe on you're brand new cam from old lifters. Besides it's easier doing the springs with the heads off. It'll cost you about $500 more after the price of gaskets, bolts and lifters.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
Or just get a threaded rod, nut and some washers from hardware store with the same thread as in the crank. Although I would highly recommend renting the tool from you local car parts store.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
And if your car has 50,000+ miles i would definitely consider new lifters. Every shop I called recommended I got new lifters even though i have a 6 speed just because you don't wanna risk flattening a lobe on you're brand new cam from old lifters. Besides it's easier doing the springs with the heads off. It'll cost you about $500 more after the price of gaskets, bolts and lifters.
Ok. So now I need new rockers. Geez. Ok. Any recommendations? I mean since I'm spending the kids college fund I might as well go all out here! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
FYI there are companies like MMX and I think Cometic (sp?) that sell gasket kits for cam swaps. I left the heads on because if I had to pull them off I would just yank the motor which would probably snowball into me wanting to throw in a forged short block.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
464 Posts
Or just get a threaded rod, nut and some washers from hardware store with the same thread as in the crank. Although I would highly recommend renting the tool from you local car parts store.
I couldn't find the right tools anywhere which is why I got creative. It worked flawlessly tho, just leave the heat gun on it for a minute or two and slip it on

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
464 Posts
Ok. So now I need new rockers. Geez. Ok. Any recommendations? I mean since I'm spending the kids college fund I might as well go all out here! :ROFLMAO:
Lifters, not rockers. How many miles do you have? Definitely go with the Mopar non MDS lifters (same as what you have now)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
Not rocker but lifters. Not 100% necessary but a good idea if the engine has high mileage.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I used the Manley pushrods for my 392 cam. They were the cheapest I could find and great quality. The valve spring tool I used was from hemitools. Most of the install is pretty straightforward but a tip for putting the crank balancer on without the installation tool, get it HOT with a heat gun and it should slide right on, enough so that you can use the crank bolt to tighten it all the way.
Thanks for the tip. Honestly I have no idea what a crank balancer is nor how to use one. I'm gonna add that to the long list of things to research before I start the swap.

This is the first major auto project I have ever undertaken. So I'm very new to the terminology and processes.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
464 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Honestly I have no idea what a crank balancer is nor how to use one. I'm gonna add that to the long list of things to research before I start the swap.

This is the first major auto project I have ever undertaken. So I'm very new to the terminology and processes.
The crank balancer is the crank pulley, what the accessory belt rides on at the bottom of the engine. It's press fit so you need either the special install tool which is essentially a longer version of the crank pulley bolt, or you can heat it up so it expands and slips over the crank snout enough for the crank bolt to reach enough threads. Make sure you replace both the crank and cam bolt as they are torque to yield.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The crank balancer is the crank pulley, what the accessory belt rides on at the bottom of the engine. It's press fit so you need either the special install tool which is essentially a longer version of the crank pulley bolt, or you can heat it up so it expands and slips over the crank snout enough for the crank bolt to reach enough threads. Make sure you replace both the crank and cam bolt as they are torque to yield.
Lifters, not rockers. How many miles do you have? Definitely go with the Mopar non MDS lifters (same as what you have now)
Something like this?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
464 Posts
Looks like it, you'll need 4 sets of lifters (16). I'm not gonna say you 100% need them but at almost 80k miles I personally wouldn't risk it, I got new lifers at 58k miles and the shops told me anything over 30-40k is pushing it.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
FWIW I listed the tools in my thread
I've been reading your post alot. Havent even made it all the way through. Pretty indepth and detailed. A big help!
What does FWIW mean?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
And Dakbuilder's thread helped me when I did my swap. :)

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
For a complete newbie to all this these forums are like gold! I'm finsingnout stuff I never knew, and finding out more stuff I need to buy to get the job done right. Skip shift eliminater came in today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
For a complete newbie to all this these forums are like gold! I'm finsingnout stuff I never knew, and finding out more stuff I need to buy to get the job done right. Skip shift eliminater came in today.
Actually if you are going to tune the car for the cam you don't need the eliminator, and you can completely remove the solenoid from the car.

I have the solenoid unplugged and just got the correct socket to remove it but have not had time to crawl under the car to remove it and install the plug.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Blacktop
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Actually if you are going to tune the car for the cam you don't need the eliminator, and you can completely remove the solenoid from the car.

I have the solenoid unplugged and just got the correct socket to remove it but have not had time to crawl under the car to remove it and install the plug.
Awesome. Good to know. That saves me 20 bucks i can get back. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: after the hundreds I have spent already!!! Oh my wife is gonna kill me!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
Well a SC is thousands so better start breaking-in the wife. With the cost of my RT and its mods I am still a couple thousand short of what we spent on the wifey's JGC Overland. :)

41 - 60 of 109 Posts