Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else heard of this new series of camshafts? Looks like they have a few good grinds....I'm consideirng the "Stage 2". Anyone have experience with these?

They have a kit for sale on AMSRacing.net for $1650 with MDS delete kit, gaskets, valvesprings, etc.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It’s looks like the similar to the 270 & 274 with slightly more duration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, comparing the Stage 2 to the 270, the Stage 2 has less intake duration @ .050, but more advertised duration. Also less lift and slightly tighter LSA (114 vs 115). RPM range is slightly lower, too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The lift is the same because they were using a 1.7 rocker ratio for the old cam and they use a 1.65 rating for this cam. Looks like the price came down as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lift is the same because they were using a 1.7 rocker ratio for the old cam and they use a 1.65 rating for this cam. Looks like the price came down as well.
Yea, it’s definitely looking interesting. Comp Cams also confirmed my suspicions that this would be a more streetable cam than the 274.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They released power numbers for the hrt cams it was 390hp stock (lt headers) and then I believe stage 430hp stage 2 470hp stage 3 475hp. Don't quote me on that as they aren't exact numbers but these were all with long tubes and are crank hp numbers, not wheel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They released power numbers for the hrt cams it was 390hp stock (lt headers) and then I believe stage 430hp stage 2 470hp stage 3 475hp. Don't quote me on that as they aren't exact numbers but these were all with long tubes and are crank hp numbers, not wheel.

Really? They just told me a few days ago that they didn’t have dyno results...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, I’ve decided I’m gonna do the Stage 2. Will also be doing a couple videos on the Faster N’ Louder YouTube channel. But first I’m doing some supporting mods. 👍

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I am trying to decide which route I want to go after my car is paid off. I was quoted 12k for a "Big Daddy" cam at OST Dynos. I am basically looking to get rid of MDS, have a nice idle that does not require a Torgue converter and get my car into the mid to low 12's. Is this possible? Would love to go into the 11's N/A (sleeper).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,174 Posts
Not sure if you seen this but this guy did a cam comparisons 6.4vs270 on a 5.7. He also used a 6.4 intake. Peak power was 390. Not bad for a ~$220 cam with no phaser lock required.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure if you seen this but this guy did a cam comparisons 6.4vs270 on a 5.7. He also used a 6.4 intake. Peak power was 390. Not bad for a ~$220 cam with no phaser lock required.
Yea, I’ve heavily considered that route, but since I have an auto, MDS delete is necessary, as well as a full gasket kit, new springs, head bolt kit, and springs. It would be about $800-900 for a 6.4 cam and $1300 for almost everything else.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,174 Posts
You can get an MDS 6.4 Cam for +$200

And performance springs are $5 a piece ($80 total)

I don't think you would have to swap out the MDS lifters as they are the same used by the 6.4. Although I would still probably deactivate MDS in the tune.

So all you need is timing seal, oil pump tube seal, valve cover seals (seals not really necessary) and the valve spring tool which can be had for ~$150.

Total would be well under $1K. But it is tedious work.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,174 Posts
I am trying to decide which route I want to go after my car is paid off. I was quoted 12k for a "Big Daddy" cam at OST Dynos. I am basically looking to get rid of MDS, have a nice idle that does not require a Torgue converter and get my car into the mid to low 12's. Is this possible? Would love to go into the 11's N/A (sleeper).
You can supercharge for almost half that price and the power increase would be a least 120HP more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts