Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You can get an MDS 6.4 Cam for +$200
View attachment 980014

And performance springs are $5 a piece ($80 total)

I don't think you would have to swap out the MDS lifters as they are the same used by the 6.4. Although I would still probably deactivate MDS in the tune.
View attachment 980016

So all you need is timing seal, oil pump tube seal, valve cover seals (seals not really necessary) and the valve spring tool which can be had for ~$150.

Total would be well under $1K. But it is tedious work.
I'm actually looking up prices for all of those parts right now. I'm intrigued.

Can you help point me in the right direction for an affordable valve spring remover tool? All I'm seeing is "Hemi specific" tools that cost about $200. Also, any other parts you can think of that I would need, or is that it?

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
I'm actually looking up prices for all of those parts right now. I'm intrigued.

Can you help point me in the right direction for an affordable valve spring remover tool? All I'm seeing is "Hemi specific" tools that cost about $200. Also, any other parts you can think of that I would need, or is that it?
Bought mine from snap on.

As for parts, can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well don't forget the tuner and tune.
I already have a Predator--it's the old one, but it still accepts custom tunes. Just trying to figure out how much a mail in tune would be. A local shop does custom dyno tuning for $400. I just don't want to keep paying $400 every time I change something. I can't afford to do everything all at once. lol

I may be doing a 392 intake manifold swap eventually and a couple other small things.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
I already have a Predator--it's the old one, but it still accepts custom tunes. Just trying to figure out how much a mail in tune would be. A local shop does custom dyno tuning for $400. I just don't want to keep paying $400 every time I change something. I can't afford to do everything all at once. lol

I may be doing a 392 intake manifold swap eventually and a couple other small things.
If you can find SP or SRT exhaust manifolds you would have one budget power package. Granted it is a lot of work but if you do it yourself saves you some significant coin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yea, I actually bought some used JBA shorty headers, a used R2C CAI, the tuner, and a used 2800 stall converter all for about $500. I’m a good deal finder lol

·
Registered
948 Posts
I am trying to decide which route I want to go after my car is paid off. I was quoted 12k for a "Big Daddy" cam at OST Dynos. I am basically looking to get rid of MDS, have a nice idle that does not require a Torgue converter and get my car into the mid to low 12's. Is this possible? Would love to go into the 11's N/A (sleeper).
12k for what?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts