Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering and wanting some opinions. I'm getting the car regardless but just wondering how it compares. My ws6 has multiple issues, needs a tune up and has nearly 164k miles on it but it will still go like a bat out of HELL and it's bone stock. Just wondering thrill wise how the 08' SRT8 compares. I know it's supposed to be faster but I couldn't really get as much a feel as I wanted during the test drive with 2 other people with me. I also was unable to figure out how to adjust the treble and bass. Wanted to know how the 08's stock sound system compares to the ws6's stock Monsoon system which I LOVE. Thanks in advance for all replies and I can't wait to go pick up my SRT8!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
The '08 SRT8 had two sound systems:

*276w 6 speaker was the base system
*522w Kicker with 10" trunk sub was optional system [advertized as 13 speaker - this was a multi driver setup]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has the 13...just looked at the description...has navigation and mygig as well...guess that means it has the upgrade...??

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
Probably does - it was typical to see the 730N (MyGig + Nav) optioned with the Kicker option

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I will see if I can find it and will post it here. I'm not really sure either. Just know that it's the nicest sound system I've ever had in any of my cars. What I do know is it's a Monsoon and there are 6 speakers. 2 in the door, 2 in the backseat and 2 behind the hatchback...so it sound like right off the bat, the SRT8 I'm getting has more speakers but I don't know the size, sound quality or anything like that. The monsoon system sound quality I would say is excellent although I hear many complain about muddyness. Never noticed it myself though. Ok, here is what I found "
Monsoon FAQ

Ezra_DarkNewsForumsGalleryNew PostsHow-TosTeam LS1TechSubscriptionsMessages*0Log Out

Home*/*Stereo & Electronics

*Monsoon FAQ

* #1**

WhiteBird00*, 11-22-2006 11:15 AM

Monsoon System Description

The Monsoon system was available in F-body coupes between 1997 and 2002 and in convertibles between 1999 and 2002. The option codes for Firebird coupes were W54 (cassette) and W55 (CD). Firebird convertibles had option code X20 for either type of head unit. For Camaros, the Monsoon option code was UZ7 in coupes and U59 in convertibles.

An easy way to tell if your car has (or had originally) a Monsoon system is to look at the hatch trim panels. Monsoon systems have speakers on both sides of the hatch area but base audio systems do not. If you have speaker grilles in the hatch area side trim panels (above the spare tire on the right and the storage cubby hole on the left) then your car was originally equipped with a Monsoon system. Unfortunately, there is no equivalent way to determine if you have a Monsoon system in a convertible - you'll have to check the door label.

The Monsoon system consists of a head unit (radio with single CD player or cassette player), an external amplifier, and either eight or ten speakers (depending on vehicle model). There was also an optional external CD changer available that mounts in the cubby space on the left side of the t-top storage well in a coupe or the left rear of the trunk in a convertible. All Monsoon equipped F-bodies were pre-wired for the CD changer even if one wasn't installed. You'll find the changer harness taped to the hatch speaker harness under the trim on the left side. Even though the changer was made by Pioneer, it was made to GM specs and is not compatible with any aftermarket head unit (including those made by Pioneer).

The head unit is nothing special - it's just an ordinary 1.5 DIN Delco radio with a Monsoon label on it. In fact, some of the early Monsoon systems didn't even have the label on the head unit. Camaro HUs are black with black controls and blue/white illumination. Firebird HUs are dark gray with gray controls and red illumination. Both types are basically the same and are physically interchangeable although they had some different features - Camaros came with speed compensated volume whereas Firebirds have a graphic equalizer. Both are capable of using a power antenna but only the Firebirds came with one. None of the factory head units had MP3 capability, line-level (RCA) output, or auxiliary input other than for the factory CD changer (although there are adapters available).

The amp is a small eight-channel unit mounted on a bracket on the right quarter inner fenderwell (hatch area of a coupe, trunk of a convertible). It powers a mix of 2-ohm and 4-ohm speakers. The 97 and some early 98 models came with a 200 watt amp that was physically smaller than later models. The rest of 98 through 99 came with an amp that was rated at 200-watts RMS. For 2000 and later models, GM changed their advertising to rate the very same amp at 500-watts. Some say this is a peak rating while others just consider it an ILS (If Lightning Strikes) rating. GM also claimed an RMS rating of 240-watts for this amp but the original 200-watt rating given to the amp is probably more accurate. In any case, there is no point in trying to upgrade a 98 or 99 to the "more powerful" 500-watt amp of later years - it's exactly the same" mine is an 02.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I had a 98 TA before I got my R/T in 2009 (now I have the 392). I loved my new Challenger but also really missed the TA. Things were going wrong with it and I was getting tired of fixing it. Looking back, I wish I could have kept the TA and bought the Challenger as the TA was more of a sports car with the removable tops and the Challenger was a muscle car "cruiser". Speed wise, I think the Challenger 6.1 will walk the TA but not by much. A couple simple mods would make a very tight race. One thing I hated with my A4 in the TA was the huge gap between 1st and 2nd gear. If that car had a 5 speed auto or the new 8 speed, it would be a heck of a performer. I put a yank converter in mine and it gave it some serious power out of the hole and also seemed to cover the 1st to 2nd ratio issue. Man I miss that car, especially since they are getting harder to find now. But after 160K miles on yours, you will enjoy the change!
I can't comment on the SRT stereo as I never had the kicker system, but I agree the Monsoon was a great system for a factory unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my car 2 days ago and OMFG I LOVE IT!!!! The smile will have to be surgically removed from my face...and yes...I definitely think it's faster than my WS6 was. The previous owner put a cold air and flowmasters on it as well so it sounds killer. Already no longer missing the Trans Am. Sold it to my brother who can give it the TLC it needs. Definitely don't miss sweating my butt off from the lack of a working AC! My SRT8 blows so cold, I have to turn it down most of the time! Up until now, only had A/C a total of about a year and a half added up together from all my previous cars...do not miss that at all!

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Congrats!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts