Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issues with my RT and 5th cylinder misfires. It has been in the shop for this 6 times. They moved parts around, replaced the head and also replaced the PCM on different occasions. Today the dealership calls me and tells me my car is ready and they replaced the entire engine. They did this without talking to me first. I told them before they did this that I would rather have a new car if they had to replace the engine. Not sure what my options are, but I really don't want to keep a car that has only 18,000 miles on it and the engine already had to be replaced. I am sure this takes away from the value of the car. I feel that I should seek legal counsel and I am looking at getting a deal on a 392 to replace this car. Any inputs on this issue would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
All Dodge said they would do is keep the car in OEM shape for your warranty time. I don't think you have any legal rights to get a new car out of the deal. I'm not sure what your lemon law is but IMO that would be your only hope. I think if your going to be trading the car for a new SRT the dealer would give you more than normal for the trade.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If a new engine w/0 miles was installed in your car, and I assume a new warranty also whats the prob? I think you made out like a fat rat. They could have fixed it with a new head and thats what you would have. A engine w/18000 miles and a new head. Just sayin?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The HEMI motors have no numbering relation to the cars' VIN - 18,000 miles with a new OEM motor is not a bad deal. The only bad deal was the inconvenience of waiting for it tho. Just saying.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I appreciate all the inputs. Never had to have an engine replaced so soon in a car. All I want is the car to run properly without anymore issues. I still may opt for a 392 though.

5,134 Posts
Stuff happens... I think you've just erased 18,000 miles from your car!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you the original owner? The Lifetime Powertrain Warranty would be a hard thing for me to give up.
Yes I am the original owner and yes the lifetime powertrain warranty would be hard to give up. I just want them to fix the problem and quit just throwing parts at it with no results. It is getting very frustrating.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would be happy with a new engine. 18k is not alot of miles but still is 18,000 miles!
Well I was mistaken and it wasn't a completely new engine, but a short block instead. Which from what I found includes the following:

Short Block
A short block consists of the block, which contains the following major internal engine components: a crank, connecting rods, pistons, and a cam (except in overhead cam engines). A short block is not a complete engine.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think they did a good service for you. A short block is appropriate, since the heads and valvetrain were probably still looking good. As the saying goes, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
There is possiblity that something was wrong with the internals on the block(ie piston, ring clearance, cylinder wall) that could have caused them to replace it.

·
Registered
2018 SRT
2,643 Posts
I think they tried to do the right thing by you, however i think it would have been a good move on their part to inform you of their plan to yank the motor out before hand. Maybe they had the feeling the next move by you was Lemon Law. But hey how's it running? Did this fix the problem?

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
A new short block for a car with 18,000 miles is a good deal.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Is the dealer that replaced your short block the same one you purchased the car from? If so, you might try communicating to them that you really have been unhappy through the entire ownership experience and that if they could arrange a really good trade in value towards a discounted 392 car, you would then be happy? Dealerships like their customers to be satisfied and the above would be an easy out for the dealership.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would push for the long block. If you can't get it, fine... but the more "factory" assembled the better. Won't hurt to try.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Did they not get your authorization to replace the parts?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts